Hallucinations are often signs that something’s wrong, that we’re injured or crazy, or that we’ve ingested something we shouldn’t have. Sacks’ elegant new study dispels fallacies and quashes stigmas about the phenomenon, saying that hallucinations are ”an essential part of the human condition.” He presents diverse case studies of varying severity — from migraine sufferers who see cool shapes to a marathon runner who gets abducted by aliens — and convincingly argues that throughout history, hallucinations have been vital to mythmaking and religious experience. Reading so many deeply bizarre personal accounts of seeing things that aren’t there can get tiresome — it’s like listening to people describe dreams. But at its best, Hallucinations is an absorbing plunge into a mystery of the mind. B+
HallucinationsHallucinations are often signs that something's wrong, that we're injured or crazy, or that we've ingested something we shouldn't have. Sacks' elegant new...HallucinationsNonfictionOliver SacksHallucinations are often signs that something's wrong, that we're injured or crazy, or that we've ingested something we shouldn't have. Sacks' elegant new...2012-11-02Knopf
MYSTERY OF THE MIND Sacks argues that hallucinations are vital to mankind
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Oliver Sacks; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Kids Choice Awards 2015 winners are...
- 'SNL react: Your quick take on The Rock and George Ezra?
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!