The sleek R&B crooner took a trip to Concept Album Island with 2010’s ambitious Libra Scale, and while that was a nice diversion, it’s good to have him home. His easy charms work even (or especially) when he’s singing about his own shortcomings; the rawer lyrics showcase a man who’s maturing without making a fuss about it. Musically, R.E.D. leans mostly on easy soul-pop grooves, but ”She Is,” a country-tinged collab with Tim McGraw, serves him well. It’s all so smooth and casual, you’ll think he recorded in his (no doubt, silk) pajamas. A-
SMOOTH STYLINGS Ne-Yo's soul-pop grooves and casual hooks are a testament to his maturing sound (Christopher Polk/Getty Images)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Ne-Yo; Music Label: Motown Records
Posted November 2 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Simon Cowell goes Hannibal Lecter in 'America's Got Talent' promo
- Police looking at possible drug OD in Prince's death, report says
- Penelope Cruz to star in reinvention drama 'Layover'
- 'The Catch' lands 'Happy Endings,' 'Army Wives' stars
- What to Watch Thursday: 'Lip Sync Battle' stages a 'Community' reunion
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Voice'
- Jon Stewart, David Letterman, Judd Apatow on deck for USO comedy show