The sleek R&B crooner took a trip to Concept Album Island with 2010’s ambitious Libra Scale, and while that was a nice diversion, it’s good to have him home. His easy charms work even (or especially) when he’s singing about his own shortcomings; the rawer lyrics showcase a man who’s maturing without making a fuss about it. Musically, R.E.D. leans mostly on easy soul-pop grooves, but ”She Is,” a country-tinged collab with Tim McGraw, serves him well. It’s all so smooth and casual, you’ll think he recorded in his (no doubt, silk) pajamas. A-
SMOOTH STYLINGS Ne-Yo's soul-pop grooves and casual hooks are a testament to his maturing sound (Christopher Polk/Getty Images)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Ne-Yo; Music Label: Motown Records
Posted November 2 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Read an exclusive excerpt from Estelle Laure's 'This Raging Light'
- 'Silicon Valley' star T.J. Miller on his 'absurd' HBO pilot 'The Gorburger Show'
- Casting Net: Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern in negotiations for 'Wilson'
- Natalie Portman relives 'dark moments' at Harvard in commencement speech
- Thom Yorke made an 18-day-long soundtrack, still not new Radiohead music
- 'Serial' set for two more seasons
- Jenelle Evans of 'Teen Mom 2': Arrest warrant