Nostalgia has been digitized. In Wreck-It Ralph’s byte-size universe of arcade games, a pixelated panoply of characters (both copyrighted and made-up) commingle each day after the final quarter has been dropped. But for Ralph, the bulldozer-handed villain of the 1980s arcade relic Fix-It Felix Jr., life isn’t all power-ups and extra lives. An 8-bit brute with a heart of gold, Ralph (voiced with hangdog perfection by John C. Reilly) escapes his game on a quest to prove to the world that there’s more to him than just being bad. As the well-meaning Fix-It Felix Jr. (Jack McBrayer) and a rough-and-tumble space soldier (Jane Lynch) pursue him, Ralph ends up in Sugar Rush, a racing game set in a confectionary wonderland of cotton-candy clouds, peppermint forests, and innumerable dessert puns of varying tastiness. There, he encounters a young racer named Vanellope (Sarah Silverman) whose glitchy nature invites the ire of the crazed Ed Wynn soundalike King Candy (Alan Tudyk). The story itself risks getting overly sweet at this point, but miraculously it never melts into a syrupy wash. There are more videogame cameos and winks than you can shake a Wiimote at — even the Konami Code, the gamer’s paternoster, makes an appearance — but the real success of the film is its emotional core and the relationship between the two misfits. It doesn’t quite carry the heft of Toy Story, but there’s a lot of heart packed into these zeroes and ones. B+
IDENTITY CRISIS John C. Reilly voices a video game character tired of being a villain (Disney)
Genre: Animation; Starring: Jane Lynch, John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman; Release Date Wide: 11/02/2012; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted November 9 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- The slow, curious fade of the male pop star
- Final 'Dexter' book says farewell to serial killer Dexter Morgan
- Kel Mitchell talks return to Nickelodeon this fall in 'Game Shakers'
- Kevin Bacon, Neil Marshall, and the other Thor to attend Fantasia 2015
- Tatiana Maslany, Haley Joel Osment among cast for 'Locke & Key' audiobook
- Here's your best look yet at the very cool 'No Man's Sky'
- Bruce Campbell rides THAT '73 Delta 88 in 'Ash vs Evil Dead': New EW exclusive images
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!