Sometimes good things come in small packages — especially if you have the attention span of an 8-year-old hopped up on Gummi Bears. If anyone’s been able to make kids sit still over the past 20 years, though, it’s the computer-whiz confectioners at Pixar, whose string of hits — from 1995’s Toy Story to 2012’s Brave — have ushered in a second golden age of animation. Still, as any parent will tell you, little Billy or Susie can find Nemo only so many times before growing restless again. Thankfully, the good folks at Pixar have been salting away a stash of fresh, fun-size ‘toons for their latest grab bag, Pixar Short Films Collection: Volume 2 (2012, 1 hr., 15 mins., G). The two-disc set comprises a dozen minifilms that range from pants-wettingly hilarious (the Ratatouille spin-off ”Your Friend the Rat”) to merely good (either of the two about the bucktoothed jalopy tow truck from Cars). Some are completely original with no ties to previous Pixar franchises (such as Presto, which pits a magician against his famished rabbit, who refuses to pop out of a hat until he’s fed), while others put familiar supporting players center stage (Ken and Barbie in the Toy Story riff Hawaiian Vacation). Actually, Barbie’s dim-bulb, beefcake beau is so awesomely oblivious, he deserves his own feature. Also worth mentioning are the set’s EXTRAS, which include the CalArts student films of Pixar’s A-list directors John Lasseter (Toy Story), Pete Docter (Up), and Andrew Stanton (WALL?E), who confesses in an intro to one of his crude shorts, ”I was one of the weaker animators in my group.” See, there’s still hope for little Billy or Susie yet. B+
PIXAR MAGIC A new collection of stellar short films will captivate animation lovers of all ages (Disney/Pixar)
Runtime (in minutes): 75; MPAA Rating: G
Posted November 16 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Sharon Osbourne takes 'Talk' break
- Chris Pratt offers pre-apology for any offensive remarks he says during press tour
- An intense new trailer for 'Black Mass' has arrived
- John Stamos on Olsens' 'Fuller House' nix
- This was Chris Pratt's craziest day on the set of 'Jurassic World'
- Why Michael Fassbender loves taking risks
- 'Mr. Holmes': Doyle estate sues
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!