Want to know when Game of Thrones season two is coming out on DVD and Blu-ray and all the extras will it have?
Below are all the details, plus a behind-the-scenes clip on the creation of Thrones’ giant Battle of the Blackwater explosion (and, for those who missed it, there’s also the season three date-tease video that aired on HBO last night). The second season of HBO’s acclaimed fantasy drama is expected to be a huge hit on home video since since Thrones’ first season ranks as the top-selling TV home video release this year and the network’s ratings for the second season were higher than the first.
Here’s the release date: Feb. 19, 2013. That’s for DVD, Blu-ray and digital download. That gives fans who didn’t watch the second season on HBO more than a month to catch up before season three debuts on March 31. Ten hours of Thrones in five weeks? Shouldn’t be a problem.
Here’s the official copy detailing the S2 extras:
Blu-ray with HBO Select – includes all DVD features plus:
- War of the Five Kings – Track the claims, strategies and key players involved in the battle for the Iron Throne with this interactive guide that follows the movements of various armies detailing their victories and defeats.
- Histories & Lore – 19 animated histories detailing the mythology of Westeros and Essos as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves and featuring, in-part, illustrations from Game of Thrones storyboard artist Will Simpson.
- In-Episode Guide – In-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations and relevant histories.
- Hidden Dragon Eggs – Find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.
- Creating the Battle of Blackwater Bay – See how the epic Battle of Blackwater Bay was brought to life in this exclusive, in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the climatic episode. The 30 minute feature showcases never-before-seen interviews with cast and crew.
- Game of Thrones: Inner Circle – Actors Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley and Liam Cunningham talk in detail about their experiences shooting season two in this roundtable discussion moderated by executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
- The Religions of Westeros – Hear author George R.R. Martin, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss discuss the competing religions in the series and how they influence the various characters in Westeros and beyond.
- Character Profiles – Profiles of seven major characters as described by the actors portraying them including Renly Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Robb Stark, Theon Greyjoy and more.
- Audio Commentaries – 12 commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington and more.
The price: Blu-ray with HBO Select ($79.98) and DVD ($59.99) for a five-disc set.
But you can actually watch the second season premiere on DVD next week – HBO is re-issuing the first season as a collectors edition DVD and Blu-ray box set on Nov. 20th ($99.97) that includes a bonus disc containing the first episode of the second season. The set also includes a dragon egg paperweight.
Here’s that Battle of the Blackwater making-of clip from home video extras (if you haven’t seen the second season yet, you might want to avoid it):
And here’s the season 3 date-tease video: