We’ve all seen the technique by which an actor is made to look like a person with an amputated limb. In the French drama Rust and Bone, director Jacques Audiard takes this queasy, eye-popping stunt and pushes it to a newly disturbing and authentic-looking prominence. Marion Cotillard, from La Vie en Rose and The Dark Knight Rises, plays a killerwhale trainer and performer at a marine park who becomes the victim of a horrific attack in which one of the whales bites off both her legs just above the knee. Her despair, rehabilitation, and slow rediscovery of herself take place in communion with an ultimate-fighting bruiser (Matthias Schoenaerts) who’s a thuggishly sensitive screwup. Cotillard, with stringy long hair and a coal fire of severity in her eyes, has what it takes to play a woman who feels that she’s lost everything. But she’s forced to flail and mood-swing from scene to scene. In an insult to the disabled, there is never much to her but her hellacious injury. C
THE LOVELY BONES Matthias Schoenaerts helps Marion Cotillard recover her will to live after a terrible accident leaves her unable to walk in Rust and Bone (Roger Arpajou)
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: Marion Cotillard; Director: Jacques Audiard; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted November 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- Fox cancels Ryan Seacrest's 'Knock Knock Live' after 2 episodes
- Despite polarizing season 2, HBO still interested in more 'True Detective'
- Box office preview: 'Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation,' 'Vacation'
- HBO says Game of Thrones will be at least eight seasons
- 'Feast' director Patrick Osborne to direct 'Battling Boy' adaptation
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!