Sean Baker’s singular little ultra-indie is a strikingly unsentimental study in female friendship between unmoored souls in L.A.’s bleached, glamour-challenged San Fernando Valley. The relationship between twentysomething Jane (Dree Hemingway, the fresh-faced daughter of Mariel), relatively new in town, and eightysomething SoCal oldtimer Sadie (Besedka Johnson, an amazing nonpro discovery) unfolds with a matter-of-fact integrity that accepts all personal quirks, weaknesses, and sorrows as human and worthy of love. A?
VALLEY OF THE STARS Besedka Johnson and Dree Hemingway form an unlikely friendship in Starlet (Augusta Quirk)
Genre: Unrated; Starring: Dree Hemingway, Besedka Johnson; Director: Sean Baker; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Music Box Films
Posted November 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- 'Doctor Who' is headed to theaters in September
- Aziz Ansari's Netflix comedy snags Claire Danes and more
- Harris Wittels' cause of death confirmed to be accidental overdose
- Brittany Snow to return for Pitch Perfect 3
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch talks routines that got him 'excited about dance'
- Cara Delevingne takes on morning talk show hosts in awkward interview
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!