Sean Baker’s singular little ultra-indie is a strikingly unsentimental study in female friendship between unmoored souls in L.A.’s bleached, glamour-challenged San Fernando Valley. The relationship between twentysomething Jane (Dree Hemingway, the fresh-faced daughter of Mariel), relatively new in town, and eightysomething SoCal oldtimer Sadie (Besedka Johnson, an amazing nonpro discovery) unfolds with a matter-of-fact integrity that accepts all personal quirks, weaknesses, and sorrows as human and worthy of love. A?
VALLEY OF THE STARS Besedka Johnson and Dree Hemingway form an unlikely friendship in Starlet (Augusta Quirk)
Genre: Unrated; Starring: Dree Hemingway, Besedka Johnson; Director: Sean Baker; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Music Box Films
Posted November 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Entertainment Geekly: Leonard Nimoy and the importance of being Spock
- 'Once Upon a Time': Will Emma go evil?
- 'Lost' alum Terry O’Quinn to star in ABC's 'The Adversaries' pilot
- MTV renews 'Are You the One?,' 'The Challenge,' orders two new series
- Kelly Osbourne is leaving E!'s Fashion Police
- 'Parks and Recreation': On the set for the last day of filming
- EW Recommends The Last Man on Earth, Grace and Frankie, and more