Remember watching Real Steel and wondering how long we’d have to wait until someone created actual man-size fighting droids that could slug it out in a boxing ring? How does Feb. 26 sound? That’s when Syfy will unveil Robot Combat League, a series where eight-foot-tall, 1,000-pound, state-of-the-art robots piloted by human ”robo-jockeys” will compete for…oh, who cares what they’ll compete for? It’s a show about giant fighting robots! ”Up until we actually saw them in the ring fighting, we didn’t think it would work,” admits Syfy president Mark Stern. ”It’s truly spectacular.” WWE wrestler Chris Jericho will host and deliver the play-by-play as 12 teams duke it out, each with its own unique robot designed by Hollywood animatronic wizard Mark Setrakian. Virtual fighters from various backgrounds (such as a race-car driver and a helicopter pilot) will wear special suits to control the action. Hopefully they’ll also get to shout, ”I knocked your block off!” when they win.
Posted November 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!