Remember watching Real Steel and wondering how long we’d have to wait until someone created actual man-size fighting droids that could slug it out in a boxing ring? How does Feb. 26 sound? That’s when Syfy will unveil Robot Combat League, a series where eight-foot-tall, 1,000-pound, state-of-the-art robots piloted by human ”robo-jockeys” will compete for…oh, who cares what they’ll compete for? It’s a show about giant fighting robots! ”Up until we actually saw them in the ring fighting, we didn’t think it would work,” admits Syfy president Mark Stern. ”It’s truly spectacular.” WWE wrestler Chris Jericho will host and deliver the play-by-play as 12 teams duke it out, each with its own unique robot designed by Hollywood animatronic wizard Mark Setrakian. Virtual fighters from various backgrounds (such as a race-car driver and a helicopter pilot) will wear special suits to control the action. Hopefully they’ll also get to shout, ”I knocked your block off!” when they win.
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany on season premiere choking and spanking
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!