Remember watching Real Steel and wondering how long we’d have to wait until someone created actual man-size fighting droids that could slug it out in a boxing ring? How does Feb. 26 sound? That’s when Syfy will unveil Robot Combat League, a series where eight-foot-tall, 1,000-pound, state-of-the-art robots piloted by human ”robo-jockeys” will compete for…oh, who cares what they’ll compete for? It’s a show about giant fighting robots! ”Up until we actually saw them in the ring fighting, we didn’t think it would work,” admits Syfy president Mark Stern. ”It’s truly spectacular.” WWE wrestler Chris Jericho will host and deliver the play-by-play as 12 teams duke it out, each with its own unique robot designed by Hollywood animatronic wizard Mark Setrakian. Virtual fighters from various backgrounds (such as a race-car driver and a helicopter pilot) will wear special suits to control the action. Hopefully they’ll also get to shout, ”I knocked your block off!” when they win.
Posted November 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Stephen Colbert meets Mitt Romney in new 'Late Show' promo
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' animated series delves into Star-Lord's origins
- Listen to this gorgeous harp cover of Taylor Swift’s ‘Style’
- See Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara handle awkward 'Fantastic Four' interview
- Lady Gaga gave Tony Bennett an enormous cake for his 89th birthday
- See Olivia Munn show off some serious Psylocke fighting skills
- Patrick Stewart really, really wants to join Taylor Swift’s squad
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!