For a guy who’s directed only seven feature movies in 20 years, Quentin Tarantino has cast an insanely large shadow. Whether or not you’re a fan of his baroque brand of celluloid mayhem and drunk-on-pop-culture monologues, there’s no denying his passion or his talent. If you’re not convinced, then check out Tarantino XX: 8-Film Collection (1992-2009, 17 hrs., 22 mins., R), an encyclopedic new Blu-ray box set that spans the daredevil auteur’s career so far, from 1992’s heist-gone-wrong indie sensation Reservoir Dogs to 2009’s Nazi-slaughtering WWII fantasia Inglourious Basterds. Each of Tarantino’s entries is here in spotless high-def — his deck-shuffling masterpiece Pulp Fiction, the bittersweet Jackie Brown, the samurai saga Kill Bill, the grind-house homage Death Proof, even True Romance, which he wrote but didn’t direct. While some are better than others, all of Tarantino’s films share one thing: a dizzying ambition. He may crib from blaxploitation flicks, spaghetti Westerns, and sticky-floor B movies, but he alchemizes them all into his own form of high art. Still not convinced? Then dig into the more than five hours of new EXTRAS, including a lively critics’ roundtable moderated by Elvis Mitchell and a chronicle of Tarantino’s rise from video-store clerk to Hollywood game changer. The doc is loaded with anecdotes from pals like Robert Rodriguez, Eli Roth, RZA, and the winner of the Jack Rabbit Slim’s dance competition himself, John Travolta (who, we learn here, Harvey Weinstein was dead set against casting as Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction). With Tarantino’s Django Unchained hitting theaters this Christmas, we can only hope that the director’s next decade is as memorable as his first two. A
TARANTINO XX: 8-FILM COLLECTION Uma Thurman in ''Kill Bill — Vol. 1'' (Andrew Cooper)
Starring: Brad Pitt, Uma Thurman, John Travolta, Bruce Willis; Director: Quentin Tarantino; Runtime (in minutes): 1043; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lionsgate, Miramax
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- 'Daily Show': Trevor Noah's name floats as possible host; get a quick intro to his work
- Jerry Seinfeld on Wale: 'He's got that true artistic spirit'
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys': Ramse arc 'planned from first minute'
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!