For a guy who’s directed only seven feature movies in 20 years, Quentin Tarantino has cast an insanely large shadow. Whether or not you’re a fan of his baroque brand of celluloid mayhem and drunk-on-pop-culture monologues, there’s no denying his passion or his talent. If you’re not convinced, then check out Tarantino XX: 8-Film Collection (1992-2009, 17 hrs., 22 mins., R), an encyclopedic new Blu-ray box set that spans the daredevil auteur’s career so far, from 1992’s heist-gone-wrong indie sensation Reservoir Dogs to 2009’s Nazi-slaughtering WWII fantasia Inglourious Basterds. Each of Tarantino’s entries is here in spotless high-def — his deck-shuffling masterpiece Pulp Fiction, the bittersweet Jackie Brown, the samurai saga Kill Bill, the grind-house homage Death Proof, even True Romance, which he wrote but didn’t direct. While some are better than others, all of Tarantino’s films share one thing: a dizzying ambition. He may crib from blaxploitation flicks, spaghetti Westerns, and sticky-floor B movies, but he alchemizes them all into his own form of high art. Still not convinced? Then dig into the more than five hours of new EXTRAS, including a lively critics’ roundtable moderated by Elvis Mitchell and a chronicle of Tarantino’s rise from video-store clerk to Hollywood game changer. The doc is loaded with anecdotes from pals like Robert Rodriguez, Eli Roth, RZA, and the winner of the Jack Rabbit Slim’s dance competition himself, John Travolta (who, we learn here, Harvey Weinstein was dead set against casting as Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction). With Tarantino’s Django Unchained hitting theaters this Christmas, we can only hope that the director’s next decade is as memorable as his first two. A
TARANTINO XX: 8-FILM COLLECTION Uma Thurman in ''Kill Bill — Vol. 1'' (Andrew Cooper)
Starring: Brad Pitt, Uma Thurman, John Travolta, Bruce Willis; Director: Quentin Tarantino; Runtime (in minutes): 1043; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lionsgate, Miramax
Posted November 23 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!