A long way from his Full Monty days, Robert Carlyle is reason enough to stick with this odd and interesting little sleeper, California Solo. The Scottish actor is wonderfully transparent and natural as a middle-aged, never-quite-famous former Britpop musician whose chosen hideaway of a life as a California farmworker comes undone when a DUI charge threatens him with deportation. There’s a lovely gravity and specificity to the story that transcends instances of bumpy filmmaking. B
CALIFORNIA SOLO Alexia Rasmussen, Robert Carlyle (Matthew Barnes)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Robert Carlyle; Director: Marshall Lewy; Release Date Limited: 11/30/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted November 30 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Quantico' boss talks the agent vs. analysts dynamic, teases next week's episode
- Josh Stamberg on going full frontal on 'The Affair': 'It's a weird day at work'
- Did the 'Fear the Walking Dead' season finale satisfy?
- See the new trailer for Martin Scorsese's HBO series, 'Vinyl'
- 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine': The 9 best lines from 'The Funeral'
- How 'Blindspot' is hiding more clues in plain sight
- Goo Goo Dolls announce 'A Boy Named Goo' 20th anniversary release