A long way from his Full Monty days, Robert Carlyle is reason enough to stick with this odd and interesting little sleeper, California Solo. The Scottish actor is wonderfully transparent and natural as a middle-aged, never-quite-famous former Britpop musician whose chosen hideaway of a life as a California farmworker comes undone when a DUI charge threatens him with deportation. There’s a lovely gravity and specificity to the story that transcends instances of bumpy filmmaking. B
CALIFORNIA SOLO Alexia Rasmussen, Robert Carlyle (Matthew Barnes)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Robert Carlyle; Director: Marshall Lewy; Release Date Limited: 11/30/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted November 30 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Misha Collins thinks Donald Trump would make a great cat circus tour assistant
- 5 steps for celebrating Beyonce's birthday
- Talking 'Star Wars' toys: Hear Finn, Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma speak
- Viola Davis on the time she kissed a casting director
- 'Survivor: Second Chance': Peih-Gee Law on the advice Amanda Kimmel gave her
- Marvel reveals Amadeus Cho as 'Totally Awesome Hulk'
- This is what it was like when Andrew Garfield worked at Starbucks
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!