A long way from his Full Monty days, Robert Carlyle is reason enough to stick with this odd and interesting little sleeper, California Solo. The Scottish actor is wonderfully transparent and natural as a middle-aged, never-quite-famous former Britpop musician whose chosen hideaway of a life as a California farmworker comes undone when a DUI charge threatens him with deportation. There’s a lovely gravity and specificity to the story that transcends instances of bumpy filmmaking. B
CALIFORNIA SOLO Alexia Rasmussen, Robert Carlyle (Matthew Barnes)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Robert Carlyle; Director: Marshall Lewy; Release Date Limited: 11/30/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted November 30 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel