A long way from his Full Monty days, Robert Carlyle is reason enough to stick with this odd and interesting little sleeper, California Solo. The Scottish actor is wonderfully transparent and natural as a middle-aged, never-quite-famous former Britpop musician whose chosen hideaway of a life as a California farmworker comes undone when a DUI charge threatens him with deportation. There’s a lovely gravity and specificity to the story that transcends instances of bumpy filmmaking. B
CALIFORNIA SOLO Alexia Rasmussen, Robert Carlyle (Matthew Barnes)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Robert Carlyle; Director: Marshall Lewy; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted November 30 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Chinese filmmaker denies ripping off 'Cars'
- Watch your emotions get dramatic in 'Inside Out' and 'Inception' mashup trailer
- 'Doctor Who' stars lend voices to 'Lego Dimensions' game
- Exclusive: Catch up on 'Rectify' with a 'Serial'-inspired podcast
- Let's rewatch the eerie first trailer for Amazon's 'The Man in the High Castle'
- U2 releases trailer for short film starring Woody Harrelson
- Mignolaverse and 'Hellboy' welcome iZombie co-creator Chris Roberson
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!