A long way from his Full Monty days, Robert Carlyle is reason enough to stick with this odd and interesting little sleeper, California Solo. The Scottish actor is wonderfully transparent and natural as a middle-aged, never-quite-famous former Britpop musician whose chosen hideaway of a life as a California farmworker comes undone when a DUI charge threatens him with deportation. There’s a lovely gravity and specificity to the story that transcends instances of bumpy filmmaking. B
CALIFORNIA SOLO Alexia Rasmussen, Robert Carlyle (Matthew Barnes)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Robert Carlyle; Director: Marshall Lewy; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Courteney Cox hints this 'Friends' cast member always 'flakes' on reunions
- Here's the 'True Detective' trailer recut with Natalie Imbruglia's 'Torn'
- USA Network's new show has f-bombing ad campaign
- Robert Downey Jr.: Why 'Ultron' filming was 'closest I’ve felt to the first Iron Man'
- Yahoo announces 18 new shows, including a Simon Cowell series
- Helen Hunt makes a scene by announcing where babies come from in 'Ride'