This mildly spooky spectral tale, The Safe Man: A Ghost Story, by famed thriller writer Connelly was originally published anonymously in 2005, but has returned to walk the earth as a Kindle Single. A locksmith who specializes in opening safes discovers something far more unnerving than jewelry and Social Security cards when he drills open a mysterious strongbox in an old mansion recently purchased by a paranoid crime writer. While the premise is a good one, and Connelly a talented writer, any and all tension dissipates faster than foggy breath. It’s certainly not a bad stab at scary, but fans of the author probably won’t be surprised to find out he’s better at conjuring up thrills than chills. B-
THE SAFE MAN: A GHOST STORY Michael Connelly
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Michael Connelly; Status: In Season; Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Posted December 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters