If you’re looking for eye-popping evidence that the world’s glaciers are melting, don’t miss the small-scale but spectacular documentary, Chasing Ice. It features James Balog, a photographer who in 2007 initiated the Extreme Ice Survey, as he mounts cameras in Iceland and Greenland to record the receding of our ancient planetary ice. Most of the film ambles pleasantly, while Balog hikes through frozen landscapes that look like God’s sculpture garden. But when we finally see the time-lapse images his cameras took, they’re awesome and terrifying — a meltdown out of a poetic horror film. B+
'ICE'-CAPADES Stunning visuals are plentiful in this cautionary-tale documentary. (James Balog)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: James Balog, Adam LeWinter; Director: Jeff Orlowski; Runtime (in minutes): 76; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Submarine Deluxe
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More