If you’re looking for eye-popping evidence that the world’s glaciers are melting, don’t miss the small-scale but spectacular documentary, Chasing Ice. It features James Balog, a photographer who in 2007 initiated the Extreme Ice Survey, as he mounts cameras in Iceland and Greenland to record the receding of our ancient planetary ice. Most of the film ambles pleasantly, while Balog hikes through frozen landscapes that look like God’s sculpture garden. But when we finally see the time-lapse images his cameras took, they’re awesome and terrifying — a meltdown out of a poetic horror film. B+
'ICE'-CAPADES Stunning visuals are plentiful in this cautionary-tale documentary. (James Balog)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: James Balog, Adam LeWinter; Director: Jeff Orlowski; Release Date Limited: 11/16/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 76; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Submarine Deluxe
Posted December 7 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jack Black meets the cast of Broadway's 'School of Rock'
- See Ellen DeGeneres scare Chris Evans and Elizabeth Olsen
- See the Dixie Chicks cover Beyoncé's 'Daddy Lessons'
- New 'Call of Duty' teasers warn of a new enemy
- Beyoncé scores her sixth No. 1 album with 'Lemonade'
- Zac Efron once cried to try to get out of a ticket
- 'Friends' stars Matthew Perry and Matt LeBlanc reunite in London
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch