If you’re looking for eye-popping evidence that the world’s glaciers are melting, don’t miss the small-scale but spectacular documentary, Chasing Ice. It features James Balog, a photographer who in 2007 initiated the Extreme Ice Survey, as he mounts cameras in Iceland and Greenland to record the receding of our ancient planetary ice. Most of the film ambles pleasantly, while Balog hikes through frozen landscapes that look like God’s sculpture garden. But when we finally see the time-lapse images his cameras took, they’re awesome and terrifying — a meltdown out of a poetic horror film. B+
'ICE'-CAPADES Stunning visuals are plentiful in this cautionary-tale documentary. (James Balog)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: James Balog, Adam LeWinter; Director: Jeff Orlowski; Release Date Limited: 11/16/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 76; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Submarine Deluxe
Posted December 7 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!