He’s the outrageous host of El Gordo y La Flaca, Univision’s popular Spanish-language entertainment news show, which airs weekdays at 4 p.m. What will happen when the 53-year-old Raúl de Molina – who’s been known to do interviews in a Jacuzzi – dips into the EW Personality Quiz?
1. You’ve written a diet book and appeared on Iron Chef America. Which celebrity chef would you like to open a restaurant with?
“He’s the craziest guy out there. Four years ago during the Wine & Food Festival in Miami, I was at his table. There was a dinner for the king and queen of Spain, and he used the word f—, like, two or three times. It was on the cover of every newspaper for three days. It was fantastic. I feel like he’s a lot of fun.”
2. Which of the following red-carpet gaffes have you committed?
Dropped the microphone
Had a wardrobe malfunction
***Called a celebrity by the wrong name
“That happens all the time. But the best thing that happened to me was being able to kiss Sofia Vergara, almost on the mouth, last year during the red carpet of the Latin Grammys.”
3. Some people call you the Regis Philbin of Latin America. Choose: Regis & Kathie Lee or Regis & Kelly?
“Regis & Kathie Lee. That was the original. I wish I would look like [Philbin]. He looks great. He’s probably the best host in the Anglo market.”
4. Which actress would you want to be trapped in a Jacuzzi on a desert island with?
“I was in a swimming pool with Sofia and went underneath her legs. I was dressed like Shakira in the video “She Wolf,” and Shakira got inside the cage with me [on my show]. Salma came to my show and I kissed her. I have done everything with Sofia and Shakira, so I will pick Salma.”
5. What is your secret phobia?
“Snakes. We go to Africa on safaris, and my wife is always scared she’s going to find a snake under the bed, and I feel the same way. I prefer a lion in my room than a snake.”
6. You were a freelance news photographer for the AP, Time, and Newsweek, and you also worked as a paparazzo. What is your craziest hiding-in-the-bushes story?
“One time, trying to photograph a lady from Spain, I camouflaged myself like a palm tree. I am not kidding. And I also hung outside a helicopter with a 600-millimeter lens to photograph the wedding of Jane Fonda and Ted Turner in Florida. That was on the cover of the National Enquirer.”
Emmy winner Melissa McCarthy’s EW Pop Culture Personality Test
John Schneider takes the EW Pop Culture Personality Test as ‘The Dukes of Hazzard’ returns to CMT
Sean Astin takes the EW Pop Culture Personality Test, admits he cries at everything, and reveals plans for his feature directorial debut