In Heleno, José Henrique Fonseca’s handsome black-and-white, impressionistic bio-drama goes very Raging Bull-ish, to tell a piece of the story of Heleno de Freitas, a Brazilian soccer star with matinee-idol charisma. He lived wild, played hard, brought sports glory to his country, and died at the age of 39 in 1959, deranged by syphilis. Rodrigo Santoro (Paulo on Lost, Xerxes in 300, and even better, Raúl Castro in Che) is mighty matinee-idol charismatic himself in the title role, alternating between swaggering lady-killer and ravaged victim of self-destruction. B+
MOUNT ST. HELEN-'O' Rodrigo Santoro plays the title character who erupts into fame and the problems it brings (Screen Media Films)
Genre: Drama, Biography; Starring: Alinne Moraes, Rodrigo Santoro; Director: Jose Henrique Fonseca; Release Date Limited: 12/07/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: R
Posted December 7 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'