Proust had his madeleine to set his mind drifting back in time. Greyson Todd has 12 electroshock treatments. Todd’s a bipolar Hollywood exec who abandons his family, then tears around the globe on a manic bender until he not just metaphysically but literally doesn’t know who he is. Garey, a screenwriter as well as a former EW staffer, has crafted a tense, unsettling, and convincing portrait of mental illness in Too Bright to Hear Too Loud to See. But because Todd necessarily comes off as a prick, it’s his wounded wife and daughter who steal the show and make a dark novel glow. B+
Too Bright to Hear Too Loud to SeeProust had his madeleine to set his mind drifting back in time. Greyson Todd has 12 electroshock treatments. Todd's a bipolar Hollywood exec who abandons...Too Bright to Hear Too Loud to SeeFictionJuliann GareyProust had his madeleine to set his mind drifting back in time. Greyson Todd has 12 electroshock treatments. Todd's a bipolar Hollywood exec who abandons...2012-12-07Soho Press
TOO BRIGHT TO HEAR TOO LOUD TO SEE Juliann Garey
Genre: Fiction; Author: Juliann Garey; Publisher: Soho Press
Posted December 7 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Taylor Swift is really, really excited for the 'Wildest Dreams' music video debut
- Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart almost joined Taylor Swift on tour
- 'We Are Your Friends' had one of the worst openings in history
- Details on the 'AHS: Hotel' Halloween episodes with Lily Rabe and Darren Criss
- 'Hannibal' finale review: A perversely romantic, totally satisfying last supper
- Caitlyn Jenner on the realities of dating as a transgender woman
- See how 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' created 'The Twins'
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloeé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!