Proust had his madeleine to set his mind drifting back in time. Greyson Todd has 12 electroshock treatments. Todd’s a bipolar Hollywood exec who abandons his family, then tears around the globe on a manic bender until he not just metaphysically but literally doesn’t know who he is. Garey, a screenwriter as well as a former EW staffer, has crafted a tense, unsettling, and convincing portrait of mental illness in Too Bright to Hear Too Loud to See. But because Todd necessarily comes off as a prick, it’s his wounded wife and daughter who steal the show and make a dark novel glow. B+
Too Bright to Hear Too Loud to SeeProust had his madeleine to set his mind drifting back in time. Greyson Todd has 12 electroshock treatments. Todd's a bipolar Hollywood exec who abandons...Too Bright to Hear Too Loud to SeeFictionJuliann GareyProust had his madeleine to set his mind drifting back in time. Greyson Todd has 12 electroshock treatments. Todd's a bipolar Hollywood exec who abandons...2012-12-07Soho Press
TOO BRIGHT TO HEAR TOO LOUD TO SEE Juliann Garey
Genre: Fiction; Author: Juliann Garey; Publisher: Soho Press
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Saturday Night Live' best host poll: The Rock flexes his comedy muscles
- Smashing Pumpkins explore PTSD in "Drum + Fife" video
- 'Sherlock' co-creator: For the last time, Holmes is not gay
- Jamie Foxx makes controversial Bruce Jenner joke at iHeartRadio Music Awards
- Play a 'Super Mario 64' level online for free
- Death threats against BBC director investigated following Jeremy Clarkson firing
- Harrison Ford released from hospital following plane crash: Report
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Clare & Don and More!