As in her novels The Handmaid’s Tale and The Year of the Flood, Atwood constructs the dystopia of her Choke Collar: Positron, Episode Two serial out of the darker currents at work in contemporary society. At some point in the middle distance of America’s future, unemployment reaches such an untenable peak that society is forced to restructure. Stan and Charmaine live in Consilience, an experimental town in which volunteers spend half their time as middle-class suburbanites and half as orange-jumpsuited prisoners of a jail called Positron. When Charmaine has an affair with one of the ”Alternates” who time-share both lives, the couple are forced to consider the possibility that (surprise!) Consilience may not be all it’s cracked up to be. Atwood’s brisk tone is more in keeping with the town’s pastel-perfect facade than its nougaty center of evil, and some of the logistics don’t quite add up. Still, she seems to be enjoying the serial format immensely, and both installments of Positron are breezy reads. B
Choke Collar: Positron, Episode TwoAs in her novels The Handmaid's Tale and The Year of the Flood, Atwood constructs the dystopia of her Choke Collar: Positron,...Choke Collar: Positron, Episode TwoSci-fi and Fantasy, FictionMargaret AtwoodAs in her novels The Handmaid's Tale and The Year of the Flood, Atwood constructs the dystopia of her Choke Collar: Positron,...2012-12-14Byliner Inc
CHOKE COLLAR: POSITRON, EPISODE TWO Margaret Atwood
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Fiction; Author: Margaret Atwood; Publisher: Byliner Inc
Posted December 14 2012 — 12:00 AM EST
- Nicolas Cage to star in parental thriller 'Mom and Dad'
- 'The Originals' boss on the casting change you may have missed
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on his acerbic antihero 'Deadpool'
- Universal wins film rights for 'Gone Girl' author's ghost story 'The Grownup'
- Julie's Diary: 'Vampire Diaries' boss breaks down Damon's big fight scene
- Inside Disneyland's magical Dream Suite
- Oscars 2016: Michael B. Jordan, Daisy Ridley, Cate Blanchett join presenters