We’re getting the banana stand back together! Arrested Development — that cherished whip-smart comedy canceled by Fox in 2006 — is finally returning with a fourth season of 10-plus supersize episodes on Netflix. But don’t expect a straight revival of the old series, in which the dutiful son (Jason Bateman) of a flailing real estate tycoon tried to save his narcissistic, eccentric family from itself. ”Although comedically it’s very much in the same vein as the last series, structurally it’s a next step,” explains creator/executive producer Mitchell Hurwitz. ”Each episode is really about one character in the family, because this series tells the story of what happened after the family fell apart — as they’re being drawn back together.” While Hurwitz remains tight-lipped on the plot — ”The Bluths are caught off guard by the collapse of the housing market, even though they’ve long been in the business of making houses that do exactly that” — he gushes about the good vibes surrounding this reunion: ”We had such a great time together on the set. And I think that sense of fun really comes across. I think people will see the show and say, ‘Wow, they really didn’t take this very seriously. What a shame. This could’ve been a great opportunity for them.’ ”
Posted January 11 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- The Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde criticized for victim-blaming comments
- Wes Craven's in-development TV projects will continue 'in his honor and spirit'
- What's new on Netflix for September
- Obama to trek into wilderness with Bear Grylls
- Hulk Hogan breaks silence on racist rant, asks for forgiveness
- How Todrick Hall hopes to inspire others through his new show, 'Todrick'
- See a snippet of Queen Latifah's 19-year-old 'Bessie' screen test
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!