You say Amour is too bleak, with its unsweetened portrayal of the ravages of age on a pair of cultured French musicians? Quartet knows just the tune to soothe its mature target audience: This lulling aspirational fantasy/comedy in the key of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel offers aging, cultured Englishfolk (and one randy Scot, played by Billy Connolly) living out their golden years in a beautifully maintained residence for retired musicians. Every vista suggests that this gracious oldies’ home is situated down the road from Downton Abbey, and every scene insists that real physical or mental infirmity belongs in some other picture. In this Elysium, the arrival of a Famous Opera Star — done up with trills by Maggie Smith — upsets the established harmony. And most agitato of all is the fellow singer who was once her husband (Tom Courtenay), still smarting from whatever it is that smarts in gentle Auto-Tuned Old Age romances like this one. Dustin Hoffman, a 75-year-old first-time feature director better known as a great old acting pro, conducts at a pleasant tempo. B
QUARTET Pauline Collins and Maggie Smith (KERRY BROWN)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Tom Courtenay, Pauline Collins, Maggie Smith; Director: Dustin Hoffman; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!