You say Amour is too bleak, with its unsweetened portrayal of the ravages of age on a pair of cultured French musicians? Quartet knows just the tune to soothe its mature target audience: This lulling aspirational fantasy/comedy in the key of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel offers aging, cultured Englishfolk (and one randy Scot, played by Billy Connolly) living out their golden years in a beautifully maintained residence for retired musicians. Every vista suggests that this gracious oldies’ home is situated down the road from Downton Abbey, and every scene insists that real physical or mental infirmity belongs in some other picture. In this Elysium, the arrival of a Famous Opera Star — done up with trills by Maggie Smith — upsets the established harmony. And most agitato of all is the fellow singer who was once her husband (Tom Courtenay), still smarting from whatever it is that smarts in gentle Auto-Tuned Old Age romances like this one. Dustin Hoffman, a 75-year-old first-time feature director better known as a great old acting pro, conducts at a pleasant tempo. B
QUARTET Pauline Collins and Maggie Smith (KERRY BROWN)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Tom Courtenay, Pauline Collins, Maggie Smith; Director: Dustin Hoffman; Release Date Limited: 01/11/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted January 11 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!