Like children at the dinner table, muses are usually relegated to being seen and not heard. The Painted Girls, based on real 19th-century Parisian sisters, gives a vivid voice to two of them: Marie van Goethem, famously bronzed in Degas’ Little Dancer Aged Fourteen, and her sister Antoinette, a player in the staging of Émile Zola’s working-class masterpiece L’Assommoir. For them there’s no glamour in dancing, modeling, and acting; it’s merely a way to stay (barely) afloat in the slums of Montmartre. If it were Les Miz, they’d break into song. Instead, we get something much richer. A-
The Painted GirlsLike children at the dinner table, muses are usually relegated to being seen and not heard. The Painted Girls, based on real 19th-century...The Painted GirlsHistorical Fiction, FictionCathy Marie BuchananLike children at the dinner table, muses are usually relegated to being seen and not heard. The Painted Girls, based on real 19th-century...2013-01-18Riverhead Hardcover
THE PAINTED GIRLS by Cathy Marie Buchana
Genre: Historical Fiction, Fiction; Author: Cathy Marie Buchanan; Publisher: Riverhead Hardcover
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!