Like children at the dinner table, muses are usually relegated to being seen and not heard. The Painted Girls, based on real 19th-century Parisian sisters, gives a vivid voice to two of them: Marie van Goethem, famously bronzed in Degas’ Little Dancer Aged Fourteen, and her sister Antoinette, a player in the staging of Émile Zola’s working-class masterpiece L’Assommoir. For them there’s no glamour in dancing, modeling, and acting; it’s merely a way to stay (barely) afloat in the slums of Montmartre. If it were Les Miz, they’d break into song. Instead, we get something much richer. A-
The Painted GirlsLike children at the dinner table, muses are usually relegated to being seen and not heard. The Painted Girls, based on real 19th-century...The Painted GirlsHistorical Fiction, FictionCathy Marie BuchananLike children at the dinner table, muses are usually relegated to being seen and not heard. The Painted Girls, based on real 19th-century...2013-01-18Riverhead Hardcover
THE PAINTED GIRLS by Cathy Marie Buchana
Genre: Historical Fiction, Fiction; Author: Cathy Marie Buchanan; Publisher: Riverhead Hardcover
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Nick Offerman, Megan Mullally cancel Indiana show in response to Indiana Religious Freedom Restoration Act
- 'The Flash': THAT unmasked man on shocking Reverse Flash twist
- Mark Wahlberg to produce Boston Marathon bombing movie 'Patriots' Day'
- 'American Idol' alum Justin Guarini on how he became Diet Dr. Pepper’s Lil' Sweet
- Scott Weiland on his new album Blaster and the power of David Bowie
- 'Wolf Creek' filmmaker to direct James Gunn-scripted 'The Belco Experiment'
- Netflix orders season 2 of 'Bloodline'
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!