Like children at the dinner table, muses are usually relegated to being seen and not heard. The Painted Girls, based on real 19th-century Parisian sisters, gives a vivid voice to two of them: Marie van Goethem, famously bronzed in Degas’ Little Dancer Aged Fourteen, and her sister Antoinette, a player in the staging of Émile Zola’s working-class masterpiece L’Assommoir. For them there’s no glamour in dancing, modeling, and acting; it’s merely a way to stay (barely) afloat in the slums of Montmartre. If it were Les Miz, they’d break into song. Instead, we get something much richer. A-
The Painted GirlsLike children at the dinner table, muses are usually relegated to being seen and not heard. The Painted Girls, based on real 19th-century...The Painted GirlsHistorical Fiction, FictionCathy Marie BuchananLike children at the dinner table, muses are usually relegated to being seen and not heard. The Painted Girls, based on real 19th-century...2013-01-18Riverhead Hardcover
THE PAINTED GIRLS by Cathy Marie Buchana
Genre: Historical Fiction, Fiction; Author: Cathy Marie Buchanan; Publisher: Riverhead Hardcover
Posted January 18 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!