The rapper and actor Common has become a highly skilled screen star, but this touchy-feely dud does him wrong. In LUV, he plays Vincent, a newly paroled convict who wants to open a Baltimore clam shack. The first sign that something is off in the movie is when Vincent decides to give his kid nephew (Michael Rainey Jr.) a lesson in thug life. The second sign is that the director, Sheldon Candis, can’t decide if that’s a good thing. No wonder every scene wobbles around. C-
LUV Danny Glover and Common (William Gray)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Common, Danny Glover, Michael Rainey Jr.; Director: Sheldon Candis; Release Date Limited: 01/18/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Indomina Releasing
Posted January 20 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Twilight' vs. 'Life and Death': A sexy vampire glossary
- 'We Are Still Here': How they created the year's creepiest ghosts
- 'Grandfathered' snags 'Agent Carter' star as love interest
- Jared Leto stayed in character on 'Suicide Squad' set
- New Cosby accuser files lawsuit: 'It is my hope that he will in fact face justice'
- Nina Dobrev explains why she's the scariest cast member in 'The Final Girls'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': Robert Kirkman promises 'awesome boat stuff' in season 2