The rapper and actor Common has become a highly skilled screen star, but this touchy-feely dud does him wrong. In LUV, he plays Vincent, a newly paroled convict who wants to open a Baltimore clam shack. The first sign that something is off in the movie is when Vincent decides to give his kid nephew (Michael Rainey Jr.) a lesson in thug life. The second sign is that the director, Sheldon Candis, can’t decide if that’s a good thing. No wonder every scene wobbles around. C-
LUV Danny Glover and Common (William Gray)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Common, Danny Glover, Michael Rainey Jr.; Director: Sheldon Candis; Release Date Limited: 01/18/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Indomina Releasing
Posted January 20 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Quantico' postmortem: Who's gone from the Academy?
- 'Walking Dead' prologue scene sets up Negan, second half of season 6
- 'The Walking Dead': Did the midseason finale satisfy?
- See My Morning Jacket cover Eagles of Death Metal
- Sinead O’Connor found safe after posting that she had ‘taken an overdose'
- See Tracee Ellis Ross perform on stage with mom Diana Ross
- John Legend serenades Chrissy Teigen for her 30th birthday