Despite the title, Drinking with Men is neither an alcoholic’s confessional nor a blogger’s catalog of drunken dates. Schaap, the Drink columnist for The New York Times Magazine, devotes each chapter to a treasured watering hole associated with major turning points in her life, whether it’s finding the family she always wished she had at a hole-in-the-wall in Vermont or discovering she didn’t want to be married anymore in a smoky Montreal dive. While you get the sense Schaap could achieve more if her narrative ventured out of dark bars more often, she describes the unusual camaraderie among bar ”regulars” with poignant specificity. It’s a cozy, intimate pleasure to go belly-to-bar with her. B+
Drinking With MenDespite the title, Drinking with Men is neither an alcoholic's confessional nor a blogger's catalog of drunken dates. Schaap, the Drink...Drinking With MenFiction, MemoirRosie SchaapDespite the title, Drinking with Men is neither an alcoholic's confessional nor a blogger's catalog of drunken dates. Schaap, the Drink...2013-01-30Riverhead Hardcover
DRINKING WITH MEN: A MEMOIR by Rosie Schaa
Genre: Fiction, Memoir; Author: Rosie Schaap; Publisher: Riverhead Hardcover
Posted January 30 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!