Despite the title, Drinking with Men is neither an alcoholic’s confessional nor a blogger’s catalog of drunken dates. Schaap, the Drink columnist for The New York Times Magazine, devotes each chapter to a treasured watering hole associated with major turning points in her life, whether it’s finding the family she always wished she had at a hole-in-the-wall in Vermont or discovering she didn’t want to be married anymore in a smoky Montreal dive. While you get the sense Schaap could achieve more if her narrative ventured out of dark bars more often, she describes the unusual camaraderie among bar ”regulars” with poignant specificity. It’s a cozy, intimate pleasure to go belly-to-bar with her. B+
Drinking With MenDespite the title, Drinking with Men is neither an alcoholic's confessional nor a blogger's catalog of drunken dates. Schaap, the Drink...Drinking With MenFiction, MemoirRosie SchaapDespite the title, Drinking with Men is neither an alcoholic's confessional nor a blogger's catalog of drunken dates. Schaap, the Drink...2013-01-30Riverhead Hardcover
DRINKING WITH MEN: A MEMOIR by Rosie Schaa
Genre: Fiction, Memoir; Author: Rosie Schaap; Publisher: Riverhead Hardcover
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'American Idol' alum Justin Guarini on how he became Diet Dr. Pepper’s Lil' Sweet
- Scott Weiland on his new album Blaster and the power of David Bowie
- 'Wolf Creek' filmmaker to direct James Gunn-scripted 'The Belco Experiment'
- Netflix orders season 2 of 'Bloodline'
- 'Room 237' team launches Kickstarter campaign for mysterious new project
- Nathan Fillion shares his love letter to 'Walking Dead'
- Kevin Hooks to direct Nelson Mandela mini-series for BET Networks
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!