According to recent novels skewering the advertising world, the modern ad guy has all the existential self-loathing of Don Draper without the manly gravitas. Truth in Advertising’s Fin Dolan, armed with hipster glasses, James Perse sweaters, and an endless supply of smart-ass quips, looks the part of an ace Madison Avenue copywriter but can’t muster any passion for his career, which hinges on a Super Bowl commercial starring diapered infants in a dystopian society. Kenney, who was a copywriter for 17 years, is on his game when lampooning corporate absurdity and less so when parsing Fin’s rather generic after-hours crises. But while many of Fin’s ad ideas — including a diaper spot featuring Al Gore’s head on babies’ bodies — fail spectacularly, we’re sold on Kenney’s trenchant, quick-witted debut. A-
Truth in AdvertisingAccording to recent novels skewering the advertising world, the modern ad guy has all the existential self-loathing of Don Draper without the manly...Truth in AdvertisingFiction, Comic NovelsJohn KenneyAccording to recent novels skewering the advertising world, the modern ad guy has all the existential self-loathing of Don Draper without the manly...2013-01-30Touchstone
Truth in Advertising by John Kenney
Genre: Fiction, Comic Novels; Author: John Kenney; Publisher: Touchstone
Posted January 30 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- See an exclusive preview of Leslie Stein's dreamy, gorgeous cartoons from 'Bright-Eyed at Midnight'
- Nicolas Cage talks 'The Runner,' explains why he's not 'a madman'
- Chief Keef releases new mixtape ahead of schedule
- Get your exclusive first look at 'Shadowhunters'
- Grace Potter dishes about her poppiest album yet
- Abbi Jacobson is a 'Dreamgirl' in new 'Lip Sync Battle' clip
- Solve Agatha Christie mysteries with this simple formula
- Stars We Lost in 2015
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!