According to recent novels skewering the advertising world, the modern ad guy has all the existential self-loathing of Don Draper without the manly gravitas. Truth in Advertising’s Fin Dolan, armed with hipster glasses, James Perse sweaters, and an endless supply of smart-ass quips, looks the part of an ace Madison Avenue copywriter but can’t muster any passion for his career, which hinges on a Super Bowl commercial starring diapered infants in a dystopian society. Kenney, who was a copywriter for 17 years, is on his game when lampooning corporate absurdity and less so when parsing Fin’s rather generic after-hours crises. But while many of Fin’s ad ideas — including a diaper spot featuring Al Gore’s head on babies’ bodies — fail spectacularly, we’re sold on Kenney’s trenchant, quick-witted debut. A-
Truth in AdvertisingAccording to recent novels skewering the advertising world, the modern ad guy has all the existential self-loathing of Don Draper without the manly...Truth in AdvertisingFiction, Comic NovelsJohn KenneyAccording to recent novels skewering the advertising world, the modern ad guy has all the existential self-loathing of Don Draper without the manly...2013-01-30Touchstone
Truth in Advertising by John Kenney
Genre: Fiction, Comic Novels; Author: John Kenney; Publisher: Touchstone
Posted January 30 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about long hair
- Missy Elliott takes show into the crowd at Essence Fest
- 'Jurassic World' stomps 'Terminator Genisys,' 'Magic Mike XXL' at holiday box office
- Kelly Clarkson and more top moments from 'Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular'
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!