Walter’s recent best-seller, Beautiful Ruins — an elegant page-turner about the convergence of Old and New Hollywood — was the glamour novel of 2012, an attractive accessory that fit nicely in name-brand beach bags. The characters who populate this collection of short stories, We Live in Water, come from a different demographic: They’re largely the down-and-out regular guys who get hit hardest by tough economic times. But Walter isn’t as concerned with unifying themes as he is with small, funny, sad moments, such as a tired working stiff discovering that one of his kids has been stealing from the family change jar, or a drug dealer getting duped into doing a good deed that very much goes punished. One story takes place in a zombie apocalypse — but even that one brims with humanity. A-
We Live in WaterWalter's recent best-seller, Beautiful Ruins — an elegant page-turner about the convergence of Old and New Hollywood — was the glamour...We Live in WaterFictionJess WalterWalter's recent best-seller, Beautiful Ruins — an elegant page-turner about the convergence of Old and New Hollywood — was the glamour...2013-02-08HarperPerennial Library
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jess Walter; Publisher: HarperPerennial Library
Posted February 8 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!