The world of competitive dog-breeding may seem like a subject too ripe for parody. But with Best in Show (2000, 1 hr., 30 mins., PG-13), Christopher Guest and his deadpan band of merry pranksters push right past satire into the rabidly surreal. Sadly, a new Blu-ray of the canine mockumentary doesn’t throw any fresh EXTRAS into the mix, but the old ones are still as tasty as a bag of Snausages — especially a deliciously dry commentary from Guest and Eugene Levy, who appear dumbstruck by Fred Willard’s freestyle riffing as dim TV announcer Buck Laughlin (”And to think that in some countries these dogs are eaten!”). Someone give that man a Snausage. B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jennifer Coolidge, Christopher Guest, John Michael Higgins, Michael Hitchcock, Eugene Levy, Jane Lynch, Michael McKean, Catherine O'Hara, Parker Posey, Bob Balaban, Ed Begley Jr., Patrick Cranshaw, Fred Willard; Director: Christopher Guest; Author: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy; Producer (group): Castle Rock Productions; Release Date Limited: 09/29/2000; Runtime (in minutes): 89; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros., Warner Home Video
Posted February 15 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!