The world of competitive dog-breeding may seem like a subject too ripe for parody. But with Best in Show (2000, 1 hr., 30 mins., PG-13), Christopher Guest and his deadpan band of merry pranksters push right past satire into the rabidly surreal. Sadly, a new Blu-ray of the canine mockumentary doesn’t throw any fresh EXTRAS into the mix, but the old ones are still as tasty as a bag of Snausages — especially a deliciously dry commentary from Guest and Eugene Levy, who appear dumbstruck by Fred Willard’s freestyle riffing as dim TV announcer Buck Laughlin (”And to think that in some countries these dogs are eaten!”). Someone give that man a Snausage. B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jennifer Coolidge, Christopher Guest, John Michael Higgins, Michael Hitchcock, Eugene Levy, Jane Lynch, Michael McKean, Catherine O'Hara, Parker Posey, Bob Balaban, Ed Begley Jr., Patrick Cranshaw, Fred Willard; Director: Christopher Guest; Author: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy; Producer (group): Castle Rock Productions; Runtime (in minutes): 89; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros., Warner Home Video
Posted February 15 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles
- 'Agents of SHIELD' eyes Skye's arc: 'Birth of a superhero'