The world of competitive dog-breeding may seem like a subject too ripe for parody. But with Best in Show (2000, 1 hr., 30 mins., PG-13), Christopher Guest and his deadpan band of merry pranksters push right past satire into the rabidly surreal. Sadly, a new Blu-ray of the canine mockumentary doesn’t throw any fresh EXTRAS into the mix, but the old ones are still as tasty as a bag of Snausages — especially a deliciously dry commentary from Guest and Eugene Levy, who appear dumbstruck by Fred Willard’s freestyle riffing as dim TV announcer Buck Laughlin (”And to think that in some countries these dogs are eaten!”). Someone give that man a Snausage. B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jennifer Coolidge, Christopher Guest, John Michael Higgins, Michael Hitchcock, Eugene Levy, Jane Lynch, Michael McKean, Catherine O'Hara, Parker Posey, Bob Balaban, Ed Begley Jr., Patrick Cranshaw, Fred Willard; Director: Christopher Guest; Author: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy; Producer (group): Castle Rock Productions; Release Date Limited: 09/29/2000; Runtime (in minutes): 89; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros., Warner Home Video
Posted February 15 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Yvonne Strahovski joins Hulu's 'The Handmaid's Tale'
- Teyana Taylor: 5 things to know about the star of Kanye new video
- Here's where you can watch the Anthony Weiner documentary, 'Weiner'
- Marlene King debuts 'Famous in Love' trailer starring Bella Thorne
- Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka' and 'Blazing Saddles' star, dies at 83
- 'Pretty Little Liars': 13 questions we need answered before it ends
- An introduction to Deathstroke, the new DC movie universe villain