On tour and off his meds, the rock star at the center of Gray is the self-destructive sort, unable to cope with the harsh glare of fame, the drudgery of life on the road, or his longing for a lost love back in Chicago. It’s not hard to imagine he’s a version of the author, a founding member of the band Fall Out Boy. Wentz offers plenty of color, treating readers like silent plus-ones as he whisks them through a world of pierced groupies, colored cocaine, and French whores — and that’s just in the first chapter. Unfortunately, things don’t progress much from there. The voyeurism provides a cheap thrill, and Wentz can turn a nice phrase — he’s a songwriter, after all — but the plot is overwritten and underdeveloped. C+
GrayOn tour and off his meds, the rock star at the center of Gray is the self-destructive sort, unable to cope with the harsh glare of fame,...GrayPop CultureJames Montgomery, Pete WentzOn tour and off his meds, the rock star at the center of Gray is the self-destructive sort, unable to cope with the harsh glare of fame,...2013-02-15MTV Books
Genre: Pop Culture; Author: James Montgomery, Pete Wentz; Publisher: MTV Books
Posted February 15 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!