On tour and off his meds, the rock star at the center of Gray is the self-destructive sort, unable to cope with the harsh glare of fame, the drudgery of life on the road, or his longing for a lost love back in Chicago. It’s not hard to imagine he’s a version of the author, a founding member of the band Fall Out Boy. Wentz offers plenty of color, treating readers like silent plus-ones as he whisks them through a world of pierced groupies, colored cocaine, and French whores — and that’s just in the first chapter. Unfortunately, things don’t progress much from there. The voyeurism provides a cheap thrill, and Wentz can turn a nice phrase — he’s a songwriter, after all — but the plot is overwritten and underdeveloped. C+
GrayOn tour and off his meds, the rock star at the center of Gray is the self-destructive sort, unable to cope with the harsh glare of fame,...GrayPop CultureJames Montgomery, Pete WentzOn tour and off his meds, the rock star at the center of Gray is the self-destructive sort, unable to cope with the harsh glare of fame,...2013-02-15MTV Books
Genre: Pop Culture; Author: James Montgomery, Pete Wentz; Publisher: MTV Books
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!