On tour and off his meds, the rock star at the center of Gray is the self-destructive sort, unable to cope with the harsh glare of fame, the drudgery of life on the road, or his longing for a lost love back in Chicago. It’s not hard to imagine he’s a version of the author, a founding member of the band Fall Out Boy. Wentz offers plenty of color, treating readers like silent plus-ones as he whisks them through a world of pierced groupies, colored cocaine, and French whores — and that’s just in the first chapter. Unfortunately, things don’t progress much from there. The voyeurism provides a cheap thrill, and Wentz can turn a nice phrase — he’s a songwriter, after all — but the plot is overwritten and underdeveloped. C+
GrayOn tour and off his meds, the rock star at the center of Gray is the self-destructive sort, unable to cope with the harsh glare of fame,...GrayPop CultureJames Montgomery, Pete WentzOn tour and off his meds, the rock star at the center of Gray is the self-destructive sort, unable to cope with the harsh glare of fame,...2013-02-15MTV Books
Genre: Pop Culture; Author: James Montgomery, Pete Wentz; Publisher: MTV Books
Posted February 15 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Read your way through New Orleans
- The 50 Most Watched Broadcast Shows of 2014-15
- Extreme Fan Club with Chris Pratt -- exclusive video
- EW's definitive ranking of the top 10 'Pac-Man' ghosts
- Funeral for slain New York rapper will be held next week
- What to binge-watch: Memorial Day marathon edition
- Pac-Man turns 35: Looking back on three-plus decades of video games, pop culture, and cereal
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!