In defeated Germany at the wretched end of World War II, the title character and her younger siblings are left to fend for themselves by their Nazi parents. This striking, slow-building drama from Cate Shortland (Somersault) uses fractured, impressionistic imagery as a mirror of moral dislocation as the children make their way through an unfamiliar landscape. If everything Lore (Saskia Rosendahl, capturing teen-girl sullenness) has been taught is wrong — about Hitler, about Jews, about the glory of her Vaterland — she might as well be walking on the moon. B+
LORE Nele Trebs, Saskia Rosendahl, Mika Seidel, and Andre Frid (Music Box Films)
Starring: Kai Malina, Saskia Rosendahl; Director: Cate Shortland; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Music Box Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Tony-winning director Gene Saks dies
- Scientology doc 'Going Clear' airing Sunday on HBO
- Kids' Choice Awards 2015: See who got slimed
- 'Home' is where the weekend box office crown is: $54M debut
- Destiny's Child reunited at Stellar Gospel Music Awards
- Angelina Jolie visits the Kids Choice Awards
- 'Walking Dead': You can live in Alexandria--for real!
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!