In defeated Germany at the wretched end of World War II, the title character and her younger siblings are left to fend for themselves by their Nazi parents. This striking, slow-building drama from Cate Shortland (Somersault) uses fractured, impressionistic imagery as a mirror of moral dislocation as the children make their way through an unfamiliar landscape. If everything Lore (Saskia Rosendahl, capturing teen-girl sullenness) has been taught is wrong — about Hitler, about Jews, about the glory of her Vaterland — she might as well be walking on the moon. B+
LORE Nele Trebs, Saskia Rosendahl, Mika Seidel, and Andre Frid (Music Box Films)
Starring: Kai Malina, Saskia Rosendahl; Director: Cate Shortland; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Music Box Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Barbarossa wanders the woods in video for sparse 'Imager'
- Kristen Schaal plays Natalie Imbruglia in Mikal Cronin's 'Turn Around' video
- Disney 'will one day' make another 'Indiana Jones' movie
- The 'Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck' scene you weren't supposed to see
- Get to know Nashville's most promising outlaw
- Weird Al talks about his worst costume and that time he fell through a stage
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!