In defeated Germany at the wretched end of World War II, the title character and her younger siblings are left to fend for themselves by their Nazi parents. This striking, slow-building drama from Cate Shortland (Somersault) uses fractured, impressionistic imagery as a mirror of moral dislocation as the children make their way through an unfamiliar landscape. If everything Lore (Saskia Rosendahl, capturing teen-girl sullenness) has been taught is wrong — about Hitler, about Jews, about the glory of her Vaterland — she might as well be walking on the moon. B+
LORE Nele Trebs, Saskia Rosendahl, Mika Seidel, and Andre Frid (Music Box Films)
Starring: Kai Malina, Saskia Rosendahl; Director: Cate Shortland; Release Date Limited: 02/08/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Music Box Films
Posted February 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Dev Patel tries to find his way home in first 'Lion' trailer
- Dwayne Johnson tops Forbes' highest-paid actors list
- 12 must-read novels out this fall
- Read an exclusive excerpt from Marie Lu's 'The Midnight Star'
- WATCH: Jennifer Esposito and Wilmer Valderrama debut on 'NCIS'
- MTV VMAs producer: Rihanna to deliver 'holy crap VMA moment'
- Alan Tudyk, Nathan Fillion unveil 'Con Man: The Game' in exclusive trailer