In defeated Germany at the wretched end of World War II, the title character and her younger siblings are left to fend for themselves by their Nazi parents. This striking, slow-building drama from Cate Shortland (Somersault) uses fractured, impressionistic imagery as a mirror of moral dislocation as the children make their way through an unfamiliar landscape. If everything Lore (Saskia Rosendahl, capturing teen-girl sullenness) has been taught is wrong — about Hitler, about Jews, about the glory of her Vaterland — she might as well be walking on the moon. B+
LORE Nele Trebs, Saskia Rosendahl, Mika Seidel, and Andre Frid (Music Box Films)
Starring: Kai Malina, Saskia Rosendahl; Director: Cate Shortland; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Music Box Films
Posted February 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Talk about a Revolution: 'TURN's showrunner on season 2 and the new poster
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates