Recently, the Iranian director Abbas Kiarostami has embraced a talky and relaxed international style. His latest film, Like Someone in Love, set in Tokyo, is about a retired sociology professor, played with a soft chuckle by Tadashi Okuno (who spent most of his career as an extra); the college-student prostitute (Rin Takanashi) he hires for a night; and her explosively angry and deluded boyfriend (Ryo Kase). The professor is desperate to connect with this shallow escort as a human being. That’s his tragedy, but the movie is playful and makes no easy moral judgments. (On VOD 2/21) B+
LIKE SOMEONE IN LOVE Rin Takanashi
Genre: Drama; Starring: Tadashi Okuno, Rin Takanashi; Director: Abbas Kiarostami; Release Date Limited: 02/15/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 109; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted February 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The Walking Dead': Did the midseason finale satisfy?
- See My Morning Jacket cover Eagles of Death Metal
- Sinead O’Connor found safe after posting that she had ‘taken an overdose'
- See Tracee Ellis Ross perform on stage with mom Diana Ross
- John Legend serenades Chrissy Teigen for her 30th birthday
- Carey Mulligan praises Jennifer Lawrence’s wage gap essay
- Taylor Swift fan meets singer before losing her hearing