Recently, the Iranian director Abbas Kiarostami has embraced a talky and relaxed international style. His latest film, Like Someone in Love, set in Tokyo, is about a retired sociology professor, played with a soft chuckle by Tadashi Okuno (who spent most of his career as an extra); the college-student prostitute (Rin Takanashi) he hires for a night; and her explosively angry and deluded boyfriend (Ryo Kase). The professor is desperate to connect with this shallow escort as a human being. That’s his tragedy, but the movie is playful and makes no easy moral judgments. (On VOD 2/21) B+
LIKE SOMEONE IN LOVE Rin Takanashi
Genre: Drama; Starring: Tadashi Okuno, Rin Takanashi; Director: Abbas Kiarostami; Release Date Limited: 02/15/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 109; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted February 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' postmortem: Elizabeth Henstridge talks surprising return
- The 10 most-promising 'Voice' contestants
- Top 5 'Muppets' moments from 'Bear Left Then Bear Write'
- Johnny Cash and Miranda Lambert get stars on the Music City Walk of Fame
- Casting Net: Jennifer Aniston, Jack Huston fly with 'The Yellow Birds'
- Hannibal Buress shares unaired 'Unemployable' pilot
- 'The Flash' boss on heartbreaking premiere twist