Recently, the Iranian director Abbas Kiarostami has embraced a talky and relaxed international style. His latest film, Like Someone in Love, set in Tokyo, is about a retired sociology professor, played with a soft chuckle by Tadashi Okuno (who spent most of his career as an extra); the college-student prostitute (Rin Takanashi) he hires for a night; and her explosively angry and deluded boyfriend (Ryo Kase). The professor is desperate to connect with this shallow escort as a human being. That’s his tragedy, but the movie is playful and makes no easy moral judgments. (On VOD 2/21) B+
LIKE SOMEONE IN LOVE Rin Takanashi
Genre: Drama; Starring: Tadashi Okuno, Rin Takanashi; Director: Abbas Kiarostami; Release Date Limited: 02/15/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 109; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted February 26 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Joan Rivers remembered by daughter Melissa in touching tribute
- 'Big Brother': James explains why he trashed the house during the veto competition
- Michelle Obama wished Beyoncé a happy birthday on Twitter
- Jason Biggs' son picked book perfect for his 'American Pie' past
- 'Big Brother': Meg on her biggest mistake and that drunken night with Clay
- Pink says she has no issue with Demi Lovato after critical VMAs comments
- See a peculiar teaser for 'Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children'
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!