Recently, the Iranian director Abbas Kiarostami has embraced a talky and relaxed international style. His latest film, Like Someone in Love, set in Tokyo, is about a retired sociology professor, played with a soft chuckle by Tadashi Okuno (who spent most of his career as an extra); the college-student prostitute (Rin Takanashi) he hires for a night; and her explosively angry and deluded boyfriend (Ryo Kase). The professor is desperate to connect with this shallow escort as a human being. That’s his tragedy, but the movie is playful and makes no easy moral judgments. (On VOD 2/21) B+
LIKE SOMEONE IN LOVE Rin Takanashi
Genre: Drama; Starring: Tadashi Okuno, Rin Takanashi; Director: Abbas Kiarostami; Runtime (in minutes): 109; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- iHeart Radio Music Awards 2015: And the winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Gene Saks, Tony-winning director, dies
- Scientology doc 'Going Clear' airing Sunday on HBO
- Kids' Choice Awards 2015: See who got slimed
- 'Home' is where the weekend box office crown is: $54M debut
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!