Keri Russell and Josh Hamilton play financially stretched, stressed-out parents of two boys in this suburbia-set horror film from Legion director Scott Stewart. What else can go wrong for the pair? Try mysteriously vanishing photographs, a plague of apparently suicidal birds, and the dire warnings of J.K. Simmons, who turns up two-thirds of the way through the movie to fully explain what is going on to the couple — and to those handful of viewers dim enough not to have already figured things out. Indeed, while there are some scares along the way, Stewart foolishly gives away the whole kit and caboodle plot-wise with an opening quotation from Arthur C. Clarke. Sci-fi and horror fans know to keep watching the skies — but they won’t be missing too much if they decide to skip this. B-
AFRAID OF THE DARK Keri Russell plays a parent whose peaceful suburban life becomes jeopardized in this supernatural thriller (Matt Kennedy)
Genre: Thriller; Starring: Josh Hamilton, Keri Russell; Director: Scott Stewart; Release Date Wide: 02/22/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted February 28 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Here's how Gary Busey announced his 'DWTS' appearance
- French train hero describes disarming gunman for Jimmy Fallon
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!