Keri Russell and Josh Hamilton play financially stretched, stressed-out parents of two boys in this suburbia-set horror film from Legion director Scott Stewart. What else can go wrong for the pair? Try mysteriously vanishing photographs, a plague of apparently suicidal birds, and the dire warnings of J.K. Simmons, who turns up two-thirds of the way through the movie to fully explain what is going on to the couple — and to those handful of viewers dim enough not to have already figured things out. Indeed, while there are some scares along the way, Stewart foolishly gives away the whole kit and caboodle plot-wise with an opening quotation from Arthur C. Clarke. Sci-fi and horror fans know to keep watching the skies — but they won’t be missing too much if they decide to skip this. B-
AFRAID OF THE DARK Keri Russell plays a parent whose peaceful suburban life becomes jeopardized in this supernatural thriller (Matt Kennedy)
Genre: Thriller; Starring: Josh Hamilton, Keri Russell; Director: Scott Stewart; Release Date Wide: 02/22/2013; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted February 28 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- See the exclusive first trailer of 'First Times with Jenn and Jack'
- Lauryn Hill covered Nina Simone's 'Feeling Good'
- See Netflix's official logo for Marvel's 'Jessica Jones'
- Kendrick Lamar releases trippy 'For Free? (Interlude)' video
- Mick Rock on his new show: I'm the Anthony Bourdain of rock and roll
- Chevy Chase & Beverly D'Angelo on their sweet 'Vacation' cameos
- 'Ash vs. Evil Dead' is not a 'watered-down version' of the films
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!