The Last Exorcism Part II may have an extremely dumb title but that’s not a good reason to avoid it — particularly when there are so many more legitimate excuses not to see this tepid, predictable sequel to the 2010 horror film we’re now renaming The First Last Exorcism. Having eschewed the found-footage format of the original, director Ed Gass-Donnelly makes good-ish use of the movie’s New Orleans location. Ashley Bell is convincingly fretful as the returning exorcisee Nell, who spends much of the film enduring flies, visions of her dead father, and nocturnal backbending (a limber vertebrae has now officially replaced projectile vomiting as the definitive proof of demonic possession). Unfortunately, no one involved seems to have bent over backwards to make the movie either original or even all that scary. C+
THE LAST EXORCISM PART II
Genre: Horror; Starring: Ashley Bell, Spencer Treat Clark; Director: Ed Gass-Donnelly; Release Date Wide: 03/01/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 89; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: CBS Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!