The Last Exorcism Part II may have an extremely dumb title but that’s not a good reason to avoid it — particularly when there are so many more legitimate excuses not to see this tepid, predictable sequel to the 2010 horror film we’re now renaming The First Last Exorcism. Having eschewed the found-footage format of the original, director Ed Gass-Donnelly makes good-ish use of the movie’s New Orleans location. Ashley Bell is convincingly fretful as the returning exorcisee Nell, who spends much of the film enduring flies, visions of her dead father, and nocturnal backbending (a limber vertebrae has now officially replaced projectile vomiting as the definitive proof of demonic possession). Unfortunately, no one involved seems to have bent over backwards to make the movie either original or even all that scary. C+
THE LAST EXORCISM PART II
Genre: Horror; Starring: Ashley Bell, Spencer Treat Clark; Director: Ed Gass-Donnelly; Release Date Wide: 03/01/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 89; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: CBS Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Walking Dead' showrunner Scott M. Gimple teases NEXT season
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake accepts iHeart Radio Innovator Award, recalls when 'they called me weird'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time': Inside ID of Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!