Imagine that you’re not part of the cultish fan base of the Korean director Park Chan-wook (Oldboy) and you go to see his bizarrely stylized first English-language film, Stoker. What on earth will you make of it? The movie is about a dour 18-year-old, India Stoker (Mia Wasikowska), who loses her beloved father (Dermot Mulroney) and attaches herself to her uncle Charlie: a transparently sinister and opportunistic creep played by Matthew Goode with a gigolo’s smirk that says, ”Look at me, I’m up to no good!” The movie wants to be Hitchcockian, but it’s the flat-footed Hitchcock of Marnie that Park evokes. His filmmaking here is hermetic and lugubrious, with each physical movement meaninglessly heightened and every line hanging in the air with (empty) significance. The central situation, however, remains obvious beyond words. There is no mystery in Stoker, only ”style,” and a stultifying sense that the world’s been rigged with evil. C-
'STOKING' THE FIRE Nicole Kidman and Mia Wasikowska star in the thrilling Stoker (Macall Polay)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Nicole Kidman, Dermot Mulroney, Mia Wasikowska; Director: Chan-wook Park; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted March 6 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!