Imagine that you’re not part of the cultish fan base of the Korean director Park Chan-wook (Oldboy) and you go to see his bizarrely stylized first English-language film, Stoker. What on earth will you make of it? The movie is about a dour 18-year-old, India Stoker (Mia Wasikowska), who loses her beloved father (Dermot Mulroney) and attaches herself to her uncle Charlie: a transparently sinister and opportunistic creep played by Matthew Goode with a gigolo’s smirk that says, ”Look at me, I’m up to no good!” The movie wants to be Hitchcockian, but it’s the flat-footed Hitchcock of Marnie that Park evokes. His filmmaking here is hermetic and lugubrious, with each physical movement meaninglessly heightened and every line hanging in the air with (empty) significance. The central situation, however, remains obvious beyond words. There is no mystery in Stoker, only ”style,” and a stultifying sense that the world’s been rigged with evil. C-
'STOKING' THE FIRE Nicole Kidman and Mia Wasikowska star in the thrilling Stoker (Macall Polay)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Nicole Kidman, Dermot Mulroney, Mia Wasikowska; Director: Chan-wook Park; Release Date Limited: 03/01/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted March 6 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ranking Shania Twain's 37 singles in honor of her 50th birthday
- 'It Follows' director responds to Tarantino's criticism
- Kelly Clarkson covers Dolly Parton's 'Jolene'
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' cast reveals the players they are surprised got voted in
- Why Kim Dickens almost turned down 'Fear the Walking Dead'
- 5 Seconds of Summer explain how Third Eye Blind influenced their new album
- Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith talk about renting porn in new book excerpt
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!