Sorry, IKEA meatballs — you’ve officially been replaced by literary thrillers as Sweden’s top cultural export. Söderberg is the latest to join the umlauted empire led by Larsson, Läckberg, Mankell, et al., and like many of his peers he’s working a long game: The Andalucian Friend is the first in a projected trilogy. Also like many of them, he leads with a strong female — not a steely detective or a tattooed hacker, but a young widowed nurse living quietly with her son in a Stockholm suburb. Enter Hector Guzman, a mysterious, requisitely sexy patient in her ward, who abruptly plunges her into a criminal underworld that stretches from Russia to Paraguay. The sprawling cast and slow-burn plotting may frustrate some, but Söderberg rewards patience with subtler thrills — and an excellent vicarious passport. A-
The Andalucian FriendSorry, IKEA meatballs — you've officially been replaced by literary thrillers as Sweden's top cultural export. Söderberg is the latest to join...The Andalucian FriendFictionAlexander SoderbergSorry, IKEA meatballs — you've officially been replaced by literary thrillers as Sweden's top cultural export. Söderberg is the latest to join...2013-03-08Crown
Genre: Fiction; Author: Alexander Soderberg; Publisher: Crown
Posted March 8 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!