Sorry, IKEA meatballs — you’ve officially been replaced by literary thrillers as Sweden’s top cultural export. Söderberg is the latest to join the umlauted empire led by Larsson, Läckberg, Mankell, et al., and like many of his peers he’s working a long game: The Andalucian Friend is the first in a projected trilogy. Also like many of them, he leads with a strong female — not a steely detective or a tattooed hacker, but a young widowed nurse living quietly with her son in a Stockholm suburb. Enter Hector Guzman, a mysterious, requisitely sexy patient in her ward, who abruptly plunges her into a criminal underworld that stretches from Russia to Paraguay. The sprawling cast and slow-burn plotting may frustrate some, but Söderberg rewards patience with subtler thrills — and an excellent vicarious passport. A-
The Andalucian FriendSorry, IKEA meatballs — you've officially been replaced by literary thrillers as Sweden's top cultural export. Söderberg is the latest to join...The Andalucian FriendFictionAlexander SoderbergSorry, IKEA meatballs — you've officially been replaced by literary thrillers as Sweden's top cultural export. Söderberg is the latest to join...2013-03-08Crown
Genre: Fiction; Author: Alexander Soderberg; Publisher: Crown
Posted March 8 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The Martian' extended cut has 10 minutes of extra footage
- Woody Harrelson denied medical marijuana dispensary license: Report
- WATCH: How Ryan Gosling put Margaret Qualley at ease on 'Nice Guys'
- 'That '70s Show' cast reunite on the set of Netflix's 'The Ranch'
- 'Scandal' stars tour the White House ahead of Correspondents' Dinner
- Paul Rudd had a fanboy moment over 'Captain America: Civil War'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch