The golden age of sci-fi movies unleashed its fair share of absurd-looking monsters, but none was more ridiculous than the creature in The Blob (1958, 1 hr., 22 mins., Not Rated). Looking like the angry filling of a giant jelly doughnut, the oozing red ball of homicidal goo emerges from a meteorite and proceeds to terrorize a small town. A young Steve McQueen (inset) rallies a posse of teens to sound the warning, but the grown-ups won’t listen… until it’s too late. The Blob is a delicious drive-in treat?and Criterion’s flawlessly restored Blu-ray gives its silly, slimy star a haunting new glow. B
Aneta Corsaut, Steve McQueen, Earl Rowe (Photofest)
Starring: Steve McQueen; Director: Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr.; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted March 8 2013 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!