In August 1945, the U.S. Army went to Japan, where it took charge of rebuilding the nation it had just destroyed. Set amid the rubble of Tokyo, Emperor captures the moral paradox of that moment. Tommy Lee Jones plays Gen. Douglas MacArthur as a gruffly literate conqueror-statesman who keeps his humanity hidden, and Matthew Fox is all square-jawed silent cunning as Gen. Bonner Fellers, who is investigating whether to try Emperor Hirohito as a war criminal. Emperor explores the delicate postwar dance of revenge, justice, and realpolitik, yet its focus on the issue of Hirohito’s guilt or innocence (did he order the attack on Pearl Harbor? Or did he, in fact, oppose the Japanese military machine?) makes it a rather thin dramatic experience. The film keeps cutting to flashbacks of Fellers’ doomed relationship with a Japanese college student (Eriko Hatsune), and here too the romance never quite transcends the history lesson. B-
EMPEROR Tommy Lee Jones stars as General Douglas MacArthur in this historical war film (Kirsty Griffin)
Genre: Historical; Starring: Matthew Fox, Tommy Lee Jones; Director: Peter Webber; Release Date Wide: 03/08/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 106; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lionsgate
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Rolling Stones to tour U.S., reissue 'Sticky Fingers'
- See Martha Stewart, Ron Burgundy and more show up to Justin Bieber roast
- Justified: Watch Raylan's 10 all-time best showdowns
- My Morning Jacket releases spacey "Spring (Among The Living)," second track off upcoming album
- Sequel to Stieg Larsson's Millennium series gets title and cover
- Robin Williams' widow and children agree to mediation over his estate
- Zayn Malik's first solo music leaks
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!