If you’ve ever burned a journal you kept in high school, you’ll appreciate Dave Bry’s courage in examining — and asking forgiveness for — the most cringeworthy moments in his life in Public Apology. You can smell the adolescent flop sweat as he relives the time he betrayed a trusted camp counselor or tossed beer cans on Jon Bon Jovi’s lawn (a standout essay, even if the apology is somewhat insincere). And then there are genuine, heartbreaking missed opportunities, many concerning his late father. Bry’s confessions are highly specific and often infuriating, but his honesty keeps his flaws endearing and his regrets profoundly relatable. B+
Public ApologyIf you've ever burned a journal you kept in high school, you'll appreciate Dave Bry's courage in examining — and asking forgiveness for — the...Public ApologyGrand Central Publishing, EssaysDave BryIf you've ever burned a journal you kept in high school, you'll appreciate Dave Bry's courage in examining — and asking forgiveness for — the...2013-03-19
Genre: Grand Central Publishing, Essays; Author: Dave Bry
Posted March 19 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Netflix renews 'Narcos' for season 2
- Eddie Redmayne: 'The Danish Girl' was 'an extraordinary experience'
- Meet the new Transporter: Ed Skrein has refueled the action franchise
- 6 times Cate Blanchett transformed to play real people on the big screen
- Black Sabbath announce farewell tour
- 'Spectre' poster: James Bond is dressed to kill
- 'Empire' releases two new songs including collaboration with Pitbull & Ne-Yo
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!