If you’ve ever burned a journal you kept in high school, you’ll appreciate Dave Bry’s courage in examining — and asking forgiveness for — the most cringeworthy moments in his life in Public Apology. You can smell the adolescent flop sweat as he relives the time he betrayed a trusted camp counselor or tossed beer cans on Jon Bon Jovi’s lawn (a standout essay, even if the apology is somewhat insincere). And then there are genuine, heartbreaking missed opportunities, many concerning his late father. Bry’s confessions are highly specific and often infuriating, but his honesty keeps his flaws endearing and his regrets profoundly relatable. B+
Public ApologyIf you've ever burned a journal you kept in high school, you'll appreciate Dave Bry's courage in examining — and asking forgiveness for — the...Public ApologyGrand Central Publishing, EssaysDave BryIf you've ever burned a journal you kept in high school, you'll appreciate Dave Bry's courage in examining — and asking forgiveness for — the...2013-03-19
Genre: Grand Central Publishing, Essays; Author: Dave Bry
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Casting Net: Anna Kendrick joins Zac Efron in 'Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates'
- Will Ferrell, Kristen Wiig in Lifetime move 'A Deadly Adoption' (not an April Fools' joke)
- Kendrick Lamar goes back to Compton for 'King Kunta' video: Watch
- Katie Couric pulls off 'an amazing prank' on James Corden for April Fools' Day: Watch
- From People: Courteney Cox steals Erin Foster's socks in 'Barely Famous' clip
- 'Grey's Anatomy' finale: A kidnapping! A massive earthquake! A crossover!
- 'New Girl' casts Anna George as Cece's mother for season 5