If you’ve ever burned a journal you kept in high school, you’ll appreciate Dave Bry’s courage in examining — and asking forgiveness for — the most cringeworthy moments in his life in Public Apology. You can smell the adolescent flop sweat as he relives the time he betrayed a trusted camp counselor or tossed beer cans on Jon Bon Jovi’s lawn (a standout essay, even if the apology is somewhat insincere). And then there are genuine, heartbreaking missed opportunities, many concerning his late father. Bry’s confessions are highly specific and often infuriating, but his honesty keeps his flaws endearing and his regrets profoundly relatable. B+
Public ApologyIf you've ever burned a journal you kept in high school, you'll appreciate Dave Bry's courage in examining — and asking forgiveness for — the...Public ApologyGrand Central Publishing, EssaysDave BryIf you've ever burned a journal you kept in high school, you'll appreciate Dave Bry's courage in examining — and asking forgiveness for — the...2013-03-19
Genre: Grand Central Publishing, Essays; Author: Dave Bry
Posted March 19 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look
- Big Sean's 'Play No Games' video is a spot-on parody of 'Martin'
- Floyd Mayweather, Katy Perry top Forbes' Celebrity 100 list
- Vertigo comic book movies headed to New Line
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!