In a series of intertwining chapters in What the Family Needed, Amsterdam zooms in on various members of an ordinary family over the course of three decades. As the characters struggle in times of crisis or transition — a teenage daughter is uprooted by her parents’ divorce, a mother confronts the reality of her son’s mental illness — they discover a superhero power that helps them both self-preserve and be of use to one another. A father flies, a girl becomes invisible, a nurse hears her patients’ unspoken dying words. Somehow the novel feels at once magical and very normal, a wishful fantasy about the strength it can take to love one’s family members well. A
What the Family NeededIn a series of intertwining chapters in What the Family Needed, Amsterdam zooms in on various members of an ordinary family over the...What the Family NeededFictionSteven AmsterdamIn a series of intertwining chapters in What the Family Needed, Amsterdam zooms in on various members of an ordinary family over the...2013-03-19Riverhead Hardcover
Genre: Fiction; Author: Steven Amsterdam; Publisher: Riverhead Hardcover
Posted March 19 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!