In a series of intertwining chapters in What the Family Needed, Amsterdam zooms in on various members of an ordinary family over the course of three decades. As the characters struggle in times of crisis or transition — a teenage daughter is uprooted by her parents’ divorce, a mother confronts the reality of her son’s mental illness — they discover a superhero power that helps them both self-preserve and be of use to one another. A father flies, a girl becomes invisible, a nurse hears her patients’ unspoken dying words. Somehow the novel feels at once magical and very normal, a wishful fantasy about the strength it can take to love one’s family members well. A
What the Family NeededIn a series of intertwining chapters in What the Family Needed, Amsterdam zooms in on various members of an ordinary family over the...What the Family NeededFictionSteven AmsterdamIn a series of intertwining chapters in What the Family Needed, Amsterdam zooms in on various members of an ordinary family over the...2013-03-19Riverhead Hardcover
Genre: Fiction; Author: Steven Amsterdam; Publisher: Riverhead Hardcover
Posted March 19 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!