In a series of intertwining chapters in What the Family Needed, Amsterdam zooms in on various members of an ordinary family over the course of three decades. As the characters struggle in times of crisis or transition — a teenage daughter is uprooted by her parents’ divorce, a mother confronts the reality of her son’s mental illness — they discover a superhero power that helps them both self-preserve and be of use to one another. A father flies, a girl becomes invisible, a nurse hears her patients’ unspoken dying words. Somehow the novel feels at once magical and very normal, a wishful fantasy about the strength it can take to love one’s family members well. A
What the Family NeededIn a series of intertwining chapters in What the Family Needed, Amsterdam zooms in on various members of an ordinary family over the...What the Family NeededFictionSteven AmsterdamIn a series of intertwining chapters in What the Family Needed, Amsterdam zooms in on various members of an ordinary family over the...2013-03-19Riverhead Hardcover
Genre: Fiction; Author: Steven Amsterdam; Publisher: Riverhead Hardcover
Posted March 19 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Welcome to Sweden' canceled by NBC
- Kung Fu Panda 3 filmmaker explains why Kai is the series' first supernatural villain
- Queen Latifah and Mary J. Blige join NBC's The Wiz
- Marvel's Jessica Jones is 'incredibly flawed'
- Want to buy Jesse's 'Breaking Bad' house?
- 'Outlander' exclusive: King Louis XV cast for season 2
- Matthew Broderick joins Broadway's dog play, Sylvia
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!