In a series of intertwining chapters in What the Family Needed, Amsterdam zooms in on various members of an ordinary family over the course of three decades. As the characters struggle in times of crisis or transition — a teenage daughter is uprooted by her parents’ divorce, a mother confronts the reality of her son’s mental illness — they discover a superhero power that helps them both self-preserve and be of use to one another. A father flies, a girl becomes invisible, a nurse hears her patients’ unspoken dying words. Somehow the novel feels at once magical and very normal, a wishful fantasy about the strength it can take to love one’s family members well. A
What the Family NeededIn a series of intertwining chapters in What the Family Needed, Amsterdam zooms in on various members of an ordinary family over the...What the Family NeededFictionSteven AmsterdamIn a series of intertwining chapters in What the Family Needed, Amsterdam zooms in on various members of an ordinary family over the...2013-03-19Riverhead Hardcover
Genre: Fiction; Author: Steven Amsterdam; Publisher: Riverhead Hardcover
Posted March 19 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!