So far, Robb Stark has been the king of off-screen battles on Game of Thrones.
The Stark heir remains undefeated on the battlefield against the Lannisters, yet has had more romance and drama than on-camera action scenes in the epic fantasy series. That might change in season 3. “He gets his sword in his hands,” actor Richard Madden teases. “But the thing with Robb is he never wants to kill.”
When the season opens, Robb’s army is in desperate shape. Winning battles has been easy; it’s winning a war that’s a problem. Struggling to defeat the Lannister forces and avenge his father’s death, Stark’s camp-life is a mess.
“He’s got all sorts of plans in place in order to actually win his war, but he’s running on empty at the moment,” says Madden, whose character last season married a kind field medic (Oona Chaplin). “He doesn’t know where his brothers or sisters are, or if they’re still alive. He’s constantly chasing the Lannisters and they’re constantly running from him. His own men are kind of revolting. So they’re exhausted, they’re starving and he’s at the end of his tether.”
Plus, Robb’s still holding his mother (Michelle Fairley) as a prisoner for openly defying his orders – so that’s awkward. “He comes to an understanding of why she did what,” he says.
Game of Thrones returns March 31.
Oh, and if you’re one of the first fans reading this: Thanks for keeping up with EW’s 15 Days of Thrones! You deserve a super fancy box set of the first two seasons on Blu-ray along with other Thrones goodies courtesy of HBO (pics below). Hit me up on Twitter using the code word “Flea Bottom.” First two get ‘em. Fulfilled! If you miss out, fear not, there will be more chances to win in the coming days.
17 DAYS OF THRONES
17. ‘Game of Thrones’ producers Q&A: Why season 3 is the most epic yet
16. Lena Headey on Cersei’s season 3 fears
15. How Kit Harington conquered his injury to keep Jon Snow fighting
14: Gwendoline Christie on being ‘too pretty’ to play Brienne
13. John Bradley defends fantasy fans
12. HBO: ‘Thrones’ piracy is ‘a compliment’
11. ‘Game of Thrones’ producers on casting Mance Rayder, Lady Olenna
10. Sophie Turner on fans bashing Sansa
9. Jack Gleeson on Joffrey’s season 3 romance
8. Maisie Williams talks Arya’s season 3 adventures
7. Peter Dinklage on Tyrion’s season 3 survival
6. Richard Madden teases Robb Stark’s season 3
5. Emilia Clarke says Dany gets fast-paced season 3
4. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau talks Jaime’s season 3 struggle
3. Rose Leslie: You know nothing about Ygritte’s catchphrase
2. ‘Game of Thrones’ producers on season 3 dragons: They’re not cute anymore
1. EW Cover: ‘Game of Thrones’ wildest season yet! Jon + Dany, an ice and fire pairing
– Buy EW’s Game of Thrones cover story issue
– EW’s exclusive ‘Thrones’ portraits
– ‘Game of Thrones’: 23 amazing season three photos
– Latest S3 trailer
EW rolled out 17 Game of Thrones stories with exclusive and spoiler-free behind-the-scenes content, largely drawn from our Northern Ireland set visit last fall, leading up to the show’s season 3 premiere on March 31. After each episode air we’ll have our popular recaps (catch up on the recaps for the first two seasons here) and interviews. Follow me on Twitter @james_hibberd for Game of Thrones news and bookmark our Thrones hub here.