Upside Down is a very fancy piece of junk. It’s a sci-fi love story organized around a visual stunt so annoying that you can just tell how clever director Juan Solanas must have thought it was. In the dystopian future (yawn!), the filthy rich and the noble poor live on next-door planets with opposing gravitational pulls. In the Trans-World building, which joins the two planets, the floor of one office is the ceiling of another, so that people look at and talk to one another upside down. How cool, we’re supposed to think — except that staging even a simple two-shot conversation becomes laborious. Especially when you realize that topsy-turvy gimmickry aside, Upside Down is one long sub — Total Recall fight-the-power cliché. Jim Sturgess, as the poor-world hero, doesn’t offer much besides mussy hair and an overly shy smile (he’s way too abashed to be a star), and Kirsten Dunst, as his angelic rich-world love, just beams and beams and beams. C-
DOWN-SIDE UP? Jim Sturgess and Kirsten Dunst star in, Upside Down, a gravity-bending distopyian tale. (Takashi Seida)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Kirsten Dunst, Jim Sturgess; Director: Juan Solanas; Release Date Wide: 03/15/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Millennium
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!