Madonna knows how to make waves with her fashion choices, and she did it again when she showed up to NYC’s GLAAD Media Awards on March 16 in a scout uniform, blasting the Boy Scouts of America for its antigay policies. ”They wouldn’t let me join,” she joked. ”I can build a fire. I know how to pitch a tent…most importantly, I know how to scout for boys.” (The organization told EW it ”does not have a reaction.”) Madonna was on hand to present the Vito Russo Award to CNN anchor Anderson Cooper. ”I’ve had so many blessings in my life,” Cooper said, ”and being gay is certainly one of the greatest blessings.” GLAAD gave the Ally Award to director Brett Ratner, who has been repentant since using a gay slur while promoting his 2011 film Tower Heist, costing him his Oscars producing gig. ”Homophobe. Bigot. Gay-basher. Ignorant frat boy. Fat Jewish pig,” Ratner said. ”I was called all these names when I foolishly used a gay slur in a misguided attempt to be funny…. Do I believe what I was called to be true? Aside from the Jewish and fat part? No, absolutely not. But I learned a valuable lesson: A word can matter, whether it’s said with malice or as a joke.”
Posted March 22 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on that killer finale and what's next
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!