Madonna knows how to make waves with her fashion choices, and she did it again when she showed up to NYC’s GLAAD Media Awards on March 16 in a scout uniform, blasting the Boy Scouts of America for its antigay policies. ”They wouldn’t let me join,” she joked. ”I can build a fire. I know how to pitch a tent…most importantly, I know how to scout for boys.” (The organization told EW it ”does not have a reaction.”) Madonna was on hand to present the Vito Russo Award to CNN anchor Anderson Cooper. ”I’ve had so many blessings in my life,” Cooper said, ”and being gay is certainly one of the greatest blessings.” GLAAD gave the Ally Award to director Brett Ratner, who has been repentant since using a gay slur while promoting his 2011 film Tower Heist, costing him his Oscars producing gig. ”Homophobe. Bigot. Gay-basher. Ignorant frat boy. Fat Jewish pig,” Ratner said. ”I was called all these names when I foolishly used a gay slur in a misguided attempt to be funny…. Do I believe what I was called to be true? Aside from the Jewish and fat part? No, absolutely not. But I learned a valuable lesson: A word can matter, whether it’s said with malice or as a joke.”
Posted March 22 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!