Part memoir, part biography, Shocked tells the story of two women: the author’s mother, Audrey Morgen Volk, a ”great beauty” of 1950s New York who lived by rigid sartorial standards, and Elsa Schiaparelli, the surrealist 1930s designer whose collaborations with the likes of Salvador Dalí revolutionized the fashion industry. Though Volk’s loose narrative thread is sometimes difficult to follow, she ultimately manages to stitch together a visually evocative coming-of-age story about fashion, femininity, and the often complicated mother-daughter dynamic. B
ShockedPart memoir, part biography, Shocked tells the story of two women: the author's mother, Audrey Morgen Volk, a ''great beauty'' of 1950s...ShockedNonfictionPatricia VolkPart memoir, part biography, Shocked tells the story of two women: the author's mother, Audrey Morgen Volk, a ''great beauty'' of 1950s...2013-03-29Knopf
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Patricia Volk; Publisher: Knopf
Posted March 29 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!