Part memoir, part biography, Shocked tells the story of two women: the author’s mother, Audrey Morgen Volk, a ”great beauty” of 1950s New York who lived by rigid sartorial standards, and Elsa Schiaparelli, the surrealist 1930s designer whose collaborations with the likes of Salvador Dalí revolutionized the fashion industry. Though Volk’s loose narrative thread is sometimes difficult to follow, she ultimately manages to stitch together a visually evocative coming-of-age story about fashion, femininity, and the often complicated mother-daughter dynamic. B
ShockedPart memoir, part biography, Shocked tells the story of two women: the author's mother, Audrey Morgen Volk, a ''great beauty'' of 1950s...ShockedNonfictionPatricia VolkPart memoir, part biography, Shocked tells the story of two women: the author's mother, Audrey Morgen Volk, a ''great beauty'' of 1950s...2013-03-29Knopf
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Patricia Volk; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Watch Jamie Foxx's much-discussed National Anthem performance
- 'Orphan Black' creators break down the latest twist: 'It's an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Walking Dead' actor in subway rant clip
- Celebrities who share a birthday with the new Royal Baby
- Ruth Rendell, mysteries writer, dies at 85
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!