National Book Award finalist Rachel Kushner brings NYC’s art scene to life so well in The Flame Throwers you could get high off the paint. Though her novel focuses on Reno, a woman who moves to the East Village in 1975 to ride motorcycles and hang with the gallery crowd, it’s the vividly drawn kooks around her who really pull you in, from the ex–Warhol Factory girl who views waitressing as performance art, to Reno’s rich Italian boyfriend, Sandro, whose dad invented the Moto Valera bike. When Sandro brings Reno to Rome and drags her into a class-based uprising, she realizes that making radical art isn’t the same as living a radical life. But if you have to watch the revolution pass you by, Kushner’s keenly observed story suggests, it would look pretty cool from the back of a Moto Valera bike. B+
The Flame ThrowersNational Book Award finalist Rachel Kushner brings NYC's art scene to life so well in The Flame Throwers you could get high off the paint...The Flame ThrowersFictionRachel KushnerNational Book Award finalist Rachel Kushner brings NYC's art scene to life so well in The Flame Throwers you could get high off the paint...2013-04-03Scribner
THE FLAMETHROWERS by Rachel Kushner
Genre: Fiction; Author: Rachel Kushner; Publisher: Scribner
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!