National Book Award finalist Rachel Kushner brings NYC’s art scene to life so well in The Flame Throwers you could get high off the paint. Though her novel focuses on Reno, a woman who moves to the East Village in 1975 to ride motorcycles and hang with the gallery crowd, it’s the vividly drawn kooks around her who really pull you in, from the ex–Warhol Factory girl who views waitressing as performance art, to Reno’s rich Italian boyfriend, Sandro, whose dad invented the Moto Valera bike. When Sandro brings Reno to Rome and drags her into a class-based uprising, she realizes that making radical art isn’t the same as living a radical life. But if you have to watch the revolution pass you by, Kushner’s keenly observed story suggests, it would look pretty cool from the back of a Moto Valera bike. B+
The Flame ThrowersNational Book Award finalist Rachel Kushner brings NYC's art scene to life so well in The Flame Throwers you could get high off the paint...The Flame ThrowersFictionRachel KushnerNational Book Award finalist Rachel Kushner brings NYC's art scene to life so well in The Flame Throwers you could get high off the paint...2013-04-03Scribner
THE FLAMETHROWERS by Rachel Kushner
Genre: Fiction; Author: Rachel Kushner; Publisher: Scribner
Posted April 3 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Demi Lovato pays tribute to late father on anticipated fall album—exclusive details
- See the 'Halo 5' opening cinematic (with Nathan Fillion and Mike Colter)
- Eddie Redmayne becomes 'The Danish Girl' in film's first trailer
- Michael Fassbender rises to power in new 'Macbeth' trailer
- Janet Jackson kicks off world tour with new song featuring Missy Elliott
- Alison Mosshart details the Dead Weather's new album
- J.K. Rowling wishes James Sirius Potter a happy first day at Hogwarts
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!