Shailene Woodley’s slate next year has gotten even more impressive. The actress, 21, is already playing Mary Jane Watson in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opposite Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone (out May 2, 2014) and the lead heroine, Beatrice ”ris” Prior, in the adaptation of Veronica Roth’s popular book series Divergent (out March 21, 2014). Now the Descendants star has scored yet another highly sought-after role: She’s officially signed on to play Hazel Grace Lancaster in the adaptation of John Green’s acclaimed YA best-seller The Fault in Our Stars. ”I honestly didn’t think she was the girl until I met her,” says director Josh Boone. ”Then she read and she just killed it. She did this phenomenal job. We were all crying.” Boone can’t reveal much about the rest of the cast, other than that the production team is currently meeting with actors for the key role of Hazel’s love interest, Augustus Waters. The story — about two teenagers who meet in a cancer support group and fall in love — struck a personal chord with Boone. ”I had a close friend who died of stage IV lung cancer right before I made my first movie,” the director says of his debut, the upcoming drama Stuck in Love, starring Greg Kinnear. ”[The book] helped me through a rough patch. It does it with a smile and a witty cynicism.” Boone will confirm that production will begin in August.
Posted April 12 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See a new clip from 'Burnt' with Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller
- You'll lose your head over this exclusive clip from 'Tales of Halloween'
- 'Inside Amy Schumer,' 'Broad City,' and more faves will stream on Hulu
- Tom Hiddleston explains why Loki was cut from 'Age of Ultron'
- Demi Lovato shares two new 'Confident' music video teasers
- Shane Davis and Michelle Delecki preview new gaming comic 'Axcend'
- 'The Flash' star Grant Gustin zooms through EW’s Pop Culture Personality Quiz