Are you Team Shakira or Team Christina? Do you prefer a coach who exudes bright-eyed, Mr. Bluebird-on-my-shoulder enthusiasm, or would you rather watch a brutally honest pro who’s always on the verge of stabbing the competition with her little spiked hat? Your answers will determine whether you love or hate The Voice this season, now that Christina Aguilera and Cee Lo Green are on hiatus and Shakira and Usher are subbing in. Aguilera gloried in needling her fellow coach Adam Levine — ”No one can bust his balls like me,” she once bragged — but now it’s almost as if they all like each other. Carson Daly introduces Usher as ”one of the greatest performers in American music history.” (Sorry, Frank Sinatra!) Levine and his sarsaparilla-swigging comrade Blake Shelton have such a tight bromance that when they bicker, Usher jokes that they need couples counseling. Even Shakira is trying very hard to contribute…something. ”I play the harmonica!” she announces in one episode. ”I can put my legs behind my head!” she volunteers in another. At least she’s always supportive of the singers, who need extra constructive criticism this year: With the exception of former Michael Jackson duet partner Judith Hill, who wields her voice like a flare gun, the talent so far has been somewhat underwhelming. But people watch The Voice for the coaches, not the contestants — and at a time when everyone’s fighting on American Idol, with Nicki Minaj playing the angriest Oompa Loompa on TV, it’s nice to see judges having fun. If there’s any sarsaparilla left in Shelton’s flask, he should pour some out for his homie Xtina. B+
The VoiceAre you Team Shakira or Team Christina? Do you prefer a coach who exudes bright-eyed, Mr. Bluebird-on-my-shoulder enthusiasm, or would you rather watch a...The VoiceReality TV, Music04/26/2011Are you Team Shakira or Team Christina? Do you prefer a coach who exudes bright-eyed, Mr. Bluebird-on-my-shoulder enthusiasm, or would you rather watch a...2013-04-12
Genre: Reality TV, Music; Lead Performer: Blake Shelton, Adam Levine, Pharrell Williams, Christina Aguilera; Run Dates: 04/26/2011; Broadcaster: NBC; Status: In Season; Seasons: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Mark Wahlberg to produce Boston Marathon bombing movie 'Patriots' Day'
- 'American Idol' alum Justin Guarini on how he became Diet Dr. Pepper’s Lil' Sweet
- Scott Weiland on his new album Blaster and the power of David Bowie
- 'Wolf Creek' filmmaker to direct James Gunn-scripted 'The Belco Experiment'
- Netflix orders season 2 of 'Bloodline'
- 'Room 237' team launches Kickstarter campaign for mysterious new project
- Nathan Fillion shares his love letter to 'Walking Dead'
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!