Equal parts memoir, cookbook, and foodie dissertation, Michael Pollan’s Cooked provides a dazzling amount of food for thought — or more precisely, thought for food. The author, who became a poster boy for the responsible-eating movement with 2006’s The Omnivore’s Dilemma, now argues that the simple task of preparing food may be nothing less than the secret of our evolution from primates — not to mention our best hope in the ongoing battle against obesity and poor nutrition. Pollan is a little pedantic at times: His lessons on umami and fermentation are old hat for gourmands, and his highbrower-than-thou citations (Hesiod, Lévi-Strauss et al.) can irk. But the book’s surplus of fascinating tidbits — about everything from barbecue (which Pollan connects to ritual animal sacrifice) to the mysterious workings of bread yeast — makes it a feast for intellectual omnivores. B+
CookedEqual parts memoir, cookbook, and foodie dissertation, Michael Pollan's Cooked provides a dazzling amount of food for thought — or...CookedNonfictionMichael PollanEqual parts memoir, cookbook, and foodie dissertation, Michael Pollan's Cooked provides a dazzling amount of food for thought — or...2013-04-27Penguin
COOKED: A NATURAL HISTORY OF TRANSFORMATION by Michael Pollan
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Michael Pollan; Publisher: Penguin
Posted April 27 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ross Marquand of 'TWD' to guest-star on 'The Mindy Project,' 'Deadbeat'
- Stephen Colbert thinks 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' sounds depressing
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996