Equal parts memoir, cookbook, and foodie dissertation, Michael Pollan’s Cooked provides a dazzling amount of food for thought — or more precisely, thought for food. The author, who became a poster boy for the responsible-eating movement with 2006’s The Omnivore’s Dilemma, now argues that the simple task of preparing food may be nothing less than the secret of our evolution from primates — not to mention our best hope in the ongoing battle against obesity and poor nutrition. Pollan is a little pedantic at times: His lessons on umami and fermentation are old hat for gourmands, and his highbrower-than-thou citations (Hesiod, Lévi-Strauss et al.) can irk. But the book’s surplus of fascinating tidbits — about everything from barbecue (which Pollan connects to ritual animal sacrifice) to the mysterious workings of bread yeast — makes it a feast for intellectual omnivores. B+
CookedEqual parts memoir, cookbook, and foodie dissertation, Michael Pollan's Cooked provides a dazzling amount of food for thought — or...CookedNonfictionMichael PollanEqual parts memoir, cookbook, and foodie dissertation, Michael Pollan's Cooked provides a dazzling amount of food for thought — or...2013-04-27Penguin
COOKED: A NATURAL HISTORY OF TRANSFORMATION by Michael Pollan
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Michael Pollan; Publisher: Penguin
Posted April 27 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!