There is an air of deep melancholy to Paul Theroux’s latest travel memoir, The Last Train to Zona Verde, in which he returns to the continent he chronicled previously in Dark Star Safari, making his way from the slums of Cape Town up the eastern coast of Africa into the terra incognita of the bush. Theroux is too experienced to stumble into romanticism, and he examines his own motivations just as thoroughly as the details of his surroundings. He has no illusions about the fact that he is just a passing visitor (a privileged one at that), but that doesn’t make his observations, or exquisite writing, any less engaging. A-
The Last Train to Zona VerdeThere is an air of deep melancholy to Paul Theroux's latest travel memoir, The Last Train to Zona Verde, in which he returns to the...The Last Train to Zona VerdeNonfictionPaul TherouxThere is an air of deep melancholy to Paul Theroux's latest travel memoir, The Last Train to Zona Verde, in which he returns to the...2013-05-03Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
THE LAST TRAIN TO ZONA VERDE by Paul Theroux
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Paul Theroux; Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Person of Interest' post-mortem: Showrunners talk emotional finale and the return of Taraji P. Henson
- 'Agents of SHIELD': Inside the tie-in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!