A lot of young actors have wanted to play the cult rock idol Jeff Buckley, who died in 1997. Now one of them has, and quite remarkably. In Greetings From Tim Buckley, Penn Badgley saunters around with an air of spooky self-possession, and he does a dead-on impersonation of Buckley’s high-vibrato wail. The movie, a lo-fi indie-rock biopic, takes place over the three or four days leading up to a 1991 tribute concert for Jeff’s father, the late-’60s folk-pop star Tim Buckley. Jeff has agreed to perform (the event ended up launching his career), but it’s obvious he’s still silently raging against the father who abandoned him. He meets a girl, played by the lovely Imogen Poots, and the two have a hipster courtship, but mostly the film cuts back and forth between Jeff and Tim (played with rakish appeal by Ben Rosenfield), all to create a sense that they’re communing across the decades. This is a melancholy wisp of a movie. Yet it lingers in the heart. (Also available on VOD) A-
'BUCK'-ING THE TREND Penn Badgley sheds his Gossip Girl image and stars as music legend Jeff Buckley. (K.C. Bailey)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Penn Badgley, Norbert Leo Butz, William Sadler; Director: Daniel Algrant; Release Date Limited: 04/03/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 10 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!