A lot of young actors have wanted to play the cult rock idol Jeff Buckley, who died in 1997. Now one of them has, and quite remarkably. In Greetings From Tim Buckley, Penn Badgley saunters around with an air of spooky self-possession, and he does a dead-on impersonation of Buckley’s high-vibrato wail. The movie, a lo-fi indie-rock biopic, takes place over the three or four days leading up to a 1991 tribute concert for Jeff’s father, the late-’60s folk-pop star Tim Buckley. Jeff has agreed to perform (the event ended up launching his career), but it’s obvious he’s still silently raging against the father who abandoned him. He meets a girl, played by the lovely Imogen Poots, and the two have a hipster courtship, but mostly the film cuts back and forth between Jeff and Tim (played with rakish appeal by Ben Rosenfield), all to create a sense that they’re communing across the decades. This is a melancholy wisp of a movie. Yet it lingers in the heart. (Also available on VOD) A-
'BUCK'-ING THE TREND Penn Badgley sheds his Gossip Girl image and stars as music legend Jeff Buckley. (K.C. Bailey)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Penn Badgley, Norbert Leo Butz, William Sadler; Director: Daniel Algrant; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- Trevor Noah eyed as 'Daily Show' host?
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller Kate & Kate and More!