A lot of young actors have wanted to play the cult rock idol Jeff Buckley, who died in 1997. Now one of them has, and quite remarkably. In Greetings From Tim Buckley, Penn Badgley saunters around with an air of spooky self-possession, and he does a dead-on impersonation of Buckley’s high-vibrato wail. The movie, a lo-fi indie-rock biopic, takes place over the three or four days leading up to a 1991 tribute concert for Jeff’s father, the late-’60s folk-pop star Tim Buckley. Jeff has agreed to perform (the event ended up launching his career), but it’s obvious he’s still silently raging against the father who abandoned him. He meets a girl, played by the lovely Imogen Poots, and the two have a hipster courtship, but mostly the film cuts back and forth between Jeff and Tim (played with rakish appeal by Ben Rosenfield), all to create a sense that they’re communing across the decades. This is a melancholy wisp of a movie. Yet it lingers in the heart. (Also available on VOD) A-
'BUCK'-ING THE TREND Penn Badgley sheds his Gossip Girl image and stars as music legend Jeff Buckley. (K.C. Bailey)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Penn Badgley, Norbert Leo Butz, William Sadler; Director: Daniel Algrant; Release Date Limited: 04/03/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 10 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!