A lot of young actors have wanted to play the cult rock idol Jeff Buckley, who died in 1997. Now one of them has, and quite remarkably. In Greetings From Tim Buckley, Penn Badgley saunters around with an air of spooky self-possession, and he does a dead-on impersonation of Buckley’s high-vibrato wail. The movie, a lo-fi indie-rock biopic, takes place over the three or four days leading up to a 1991 tribute concert for Jeff’s father, the late-’60s folk-pop star Tim Buckley. Jeff has agreed to perform (the event ended up launching his career), but it’s obvious he’s still silently raging against the father who abandoned him. He meets a girl, played by the lovely Imogen Poots, and the two have a hipster courtship, but mostly the film cuts back and forth between Jeff and Tim (played with rakish appeal by Ben Rosenfield), all to create a sense that they’re communing across the decades. This is a melancholy wisp of a movie. Yet it lingers in the heart. (Also available on VOD) A-
'BUCK'-ING THE TREND Penn Badgley sheds his Gossip Girl image and stars as music legend Jeff Buckley. (K.C. Bailey)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Penn Badgley, Norbert Leo Butz, William Sadler; Director: Daniel Algrant; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage spotlight: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!