Is no continent safe from the blood-drenched paws of filmmaker Eli Roth? Having let loose a flesh-eating virus on North America in Cabin Fever, established a European torture factory in the Hostel movies, and (as producer) wreaked havoc in Asia via last year’s The Man with the Iron Fists, the gore-teur has now turned his attention to South America with Chile-set earthquake disaster movie Aftershock, which Roth both stars in and copenned. The first, pre-‘quake half hour is such a patience-testing slow burn that director Nicolás López runs the risk of extinguishing the viewer’s interest altogether. But when things head (metaphorically) south they do so with an escalating, apocalyptic ferocity which continues until the very last second. B-
CHILE CON CARNAGE Eli Roth cowrote and stars in earthquake disaster movie Aftershock
Genre: Horror; Starring: Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Eli Roth; Director: Nicolas Lopez; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted May 15 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look