Is no continent safe from the blood-drenched paws of filmmaker Eli Roth? Having let loose a flesh-eating virus on North America in Cabin Fever, established a European torture factory in the Hostel movies, and (as producer) wreaked havoc in Asia via last year’s The Man with the Iron Fists, the gore-teur has now turned his attention to South America with Chile-set earthquake disaster movie Aftershock, which Roth both stars in and copenned. The first, pre-‘quake half hour is such a patience-testing slow burn that director Nicolás López runs the risk of extinguishing the viewer’s interest altogether. But when things head (metaphorically) south they do so with an escalating, apocalyptic ferocity which continues until the very last second. B-
CHILE CON CARNAGE Eli Roth cowrote and stars in earthquake disaster movie Aftershock
Genre: Horror; Starring: Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Eli Roth; Director: Nicolas Lopez; Release Date Limited: 05/10/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted May 15 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' has started filming
- Eva Longoria gets low on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- See the first teaser for Netflix's Beatles-inspired 'Beat Bugs'
- 'Harry Potter & the Cursed Child' script due out this summer
- Grammys 2016: Secret Ballot
- 'The Walking Dead' returns with 6 exclusive EW collector's covers
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: See 'Frozen' fan-favorite Olaf on 'Sofia the FIrst'