Is no continent safe from the blood-drenched paws of filmmaker Eli Roth? Having let loose a flesh-eating virus on North America in Cabin Fever, established a European torture factory in the Hostel movies, and (as producer) wreaked havoc in Asia via last year’s The Man with the Iron Fists, the gore-teur has now turned his attention to South America with Chile-set earthquake disaster movie Aftershock, which Roth both stars in and copenned. The first, pre-‘quake half hour is such a patience-testing slow burn that director Nicolás López runs the risk of extinguishing the viewer’s interest altogether. But when things head (metaphorically) south they do so with an escalating, apocalyptic ferocity which continues until the very last second. B-
CHILE CON CARNAGE Eli Roth cowrote and stars in earthquake disaster movie Aftershock
Genre: Horror; Starring: Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Eli Roth; Director: Nicolas Lopez; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted May 15 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Wayward Pines' exec producer Chad Hodge's post-show dish: Why (SPOILER) had to die
- Casting Net: Gabrielle Union heading to Jamie Foxx action film 'Sleepless Night'
- 'The View' eyeing two new cohosts?
- 'The Help' director Tate Taylor to helm 'Girl on the Train'
- Pete Davidson live tweets his 'Harry Potter' marathon, gives 'dope as f---' review
- Reese Witherspoon as Tinker Bell: Disney developing 'Peter Pan' spinoff 'Tink'
- Molest claim vs. Josh Duggar; family says...
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Taylor Schilling, Jessica Alba, Beyoncé & More!