Is no continent safe from the blood-drenched paws of filmmaker Eli Roth? Having let loose a flesh-eating virus on North America in Cabin Fever, established a European torture factory in the Hostel movies, and (as producer) wreaked havoc in Asia via last year’s The Man with the Iron Fists, the gore-teur has now turned his attention to South America with Chile-set earthquake disaster movie Aftershock, which Roth both stars in and copenned. The first, pre-‘quake half hour is such a patience-testing slow burn that director Nicolás López runs the risk of extinguishing the viewer’s interest altogether. But when things head (metaphorically) south they do so with an escalating, apocalyptic ferocity which continues until the very last second. B-
CHILE CON CARNAGE Eli Roth cowrote and stars in earthquake disaster movie Aftershock
Genre: Horror; Starring: Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Eli Roth; Director: Nicolas Lopez; Release Date Limited: 05/10/2013; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted May 15 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- DreamWorks nabs film rights for Dennis Lehane's next novel, 'Since We Fell'
- Tracy Morgan does stand-up for first time since accident
- Mulder and Scully get animated in teaser for 'The X-Files' revival
- The most awkward 'Awkward' moments from 'The Big Reveal'
- Felicity Huffman's 'House of Moore' gets put pilot deal at ABC
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen are having a baby
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' premiere ratings high, but not as high as 'Freak Show'