Max Walker is a towheaded 15-year-old who’s co-captain of his soccer team and generally beloved by boys and girls alike in his British town. But he has a secret: He was born with an equal number of male and female chromosomes and is what his doctor calls ”a true hermaphrodite.” In her American debut novel, Golden Boy, Tarttelin writes sensitively about how an intersex child might cope with the heightened emotions of adolescence, though Max can seem almost too perfect (and docile) even as he endures a series of plot twists that lean heavily on coincidence or melodrama. B+
Golden BoyMax Walker is a towheaded 15-year-old who's co-captain of his soccer team and generally beloved by boys and girls alike in his British town. But he has a...Golden BoyFictionAbigail TarttelinMax Walker is a towheaded 15-year-old who's co-captain of his soccer team and generally beloved by boys and girls alike in his British town. But he has a...2013-05-17Atria
GOLDEN BOY by Abigail Tarttelin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Abigail Tarttelin; Publisher: Atria
Posted May 17 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Explicit photos of Leslie Jones leaked after website hack
- Ryan Lochte in talks to join 'Dancing with the Stars'
- 'Dirk Gently' teaser promises corpses, cops, and a killer
- New York Film Festival: Carrie Fisher film joins documentary lineup
- 'The Royals' gets season 3 premiere date, shirtless Prince Liam pics
- Starz renews 'Survivor's Remorse' for season 4
- Gerard Butler brings 'depth and heart' to 'The Headhunter’s Calling'
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...