Max Walker is a towheaded 15-year-old who’s co-captain of his soccer team and generally beloved by boys and girls alike in his British town. But he has a secret: He was born with an equal number of male and female chromosomes and is what his doctor calls ”a true hermaphrodite.” In her American debut novel, Golden Boy, Tarttelin writes sensitively about how an intersex child might cope with the heightened emotions of adolescence, though Max can seem almost too perfect (and docile) even as he endures a series of plot twists that lean heavily on coincidence or melodrama. B+
Golden BoyMax Walker is a towheaded 15-year-old who's co-captain of his soccer team and generally beloved by boys and girls alike in his British town. But he has a...Golden BoyFictionAbigail TarttelinMax Walker is a towheaded 15-year-old who's co-captain of his soccer team and generally beloved by boys and girls alike in his British town. But he has a...2013-05-17Atria
GOLDEN BOY by Abigail Tarttelin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Abigail Tarttelin; Publisher: Atria
Posted May 17 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: M. Night Shyamalan's new supernatural thriller adds four actors
- 'Chicago Fire' recap: 'Let it Burn'
- Top 5 'Muppets' moments from 'Pig Out'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' EP to produce 'Famous in Love' drama pilot starring Bella Thorne
- 'Arrow' actor Neal McDonough on bringing megalomaniac Damien Darhk to life
- Lamar Odom hospitalized in Las Vegas
- E! is going to spin off 'Botched'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6