Young Darling’s world in Zimbabwe is a ravaged one, but her life there is rich despite the deprivation in We Need New Names. Then the preteen moves to America, to ”Destroyed, Michigan,” to live with her aunt Fostalina, a nursing care worker wedded to her treadmill. Darling has difficulty adapting — to the snow, to technology, to shelves teeming with boxed food, and to curious, careless white faces everywhere marveling at her African roots. (”Tell me about it. Jesus, the rapes and all those killings!” a wide-eyed woman demands in the bathroom at a wedding.) Bulawayo, whose prose is warm and clear and unfussy, maintains Darling’s singular voice throughout, even as her heroine struggles to find her footing. Her hard, funny first novel is a triumph. A
We Need New NamesYoung Darling's world in Zimbabwe is a ravaged one, but her life there is rich despite the deprivation in We Need New Names. Then the...We Need New NamesFictionNoViolet BulawayoYoung Darling's world in Zimbabwe is a ravaged one, but her life there is rich despite the deprivation in We Need New Names. Then the...2013-05-17Reagan Arthur Books
WE NEED NEW NAMES by NoViolet Bulawayo
Genre: Fiction; Author: NoViolet Bulawayo; Publisher: Reagan Arthur Books
Posted May 17 2013 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!